• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (6 Viewers)

Had a go for the Colton waxwings this morning but failed to see any. Tried the travel lodge area, fast food joints and the business blocks before visiting the shops for Christmas presents. Ok for thrushes and finches but that was it, still the walk warmed me up for the gym.

Ace day today. Up early to see the end of the days play, obviously rained off so got the highlights and discussions.

Knowing the clear water was by the roadside I set off to Mirfield for the RBG hoping it would be a bit closer and I'd get a reasonable shot. No joy on arrival but after about 40 minutes in -4 deg it dropped into the water for a wash (always bathing that bird). It soon hopped onto the ice giving excellent views, much closer than I'd previously seen it. Tried it with a bit of bread and after a couple of slices of coop medium cut white it slipped off the ice and came over for a look joining a swarm of BHG. Three teal, female pochard and a fly over RBM were nice.

Went onto Horbury and soon found the smew with a group of goldeneye. These were interesting in that the four males were in diffent plumage, full eclipse, near full eclipse, almost out of eclipse and fully out. Add to that females and juv all at fairly close range it's as good a selection as you could want. Two Sparrowhawks were in the treatment works harrassing the mipits and pied wags, both were sat on the same carousel at one point. Making my way back to the car I stepped off the path to get a branch free angle on the smew and flushed a bittern which was on the waters edge under the tree, about 8' away when it took off. Wish I'd seen it first!

Took the eldest up onto the hills to play in snow drifts and finished the day with Snipe and Red Grouse. Ace, photos to follow.

Ace day reprise

having froze for two hours in soccer city made way through Mirfield to Sands Lane GP where the Ring billed Gull had just flown in, early pm, but surprisingly it took no interest in cold McDonalds fries!

Can you believe it? no waxwings to be seen anywhere in Huddersfield, Mirfield, Dewsbury or Tingley en route to the 62..so on to Fairburn and joined the pilgrimage to the LEO fest at Lin Dyke. My youngest managed to throw himself into the frozen pond both the air and his legs turned blue in the ensuing panic!!

safefly back in the car with said son warm and wrapped in sleeping bag and puffa jacket made a final call at Swillington, a day for old haunts and faces! Just missed a bittern out in full view on the ice but saw the female Hen Harrier in the late afternoon sunshine.

then back into the hills and snowdrifts..no blog so no pics..use your imagination

Bittern showing on Flask Lake at Nosterfield Quarry this afternoon,according to the info boatd up to 3 birds seen in last couple of days,also present were good numbers of the usual waterfowl and at least 5 Whoopers.

having froze for two hours in soccer city made way through Mirfield to Sands Lane GP where the Ring billed Gull had just flown in, early pm, but surprisingly it took no interest in cold McDonalds fries!

..no blog so no pics..use your imagination

If it had just dropped in I'm guessing it will have been bathing, got stacks like this - have one on me!

Attachments

• IMG_5714_1.JPG
    IMG_5714_1.JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 189
11 Goosander on the river at Boston Spa this morning from the bridge. Perhaps even more unusual was a female Tufted - not seen Tuftie on this stretch of the Wharfe before.

Had a go for the Colton waxwings this morning but failed to see any. Tried the travel lodge area, fast food joints and the business blocks before visiting the shops for Christmas presents. Ok for thrushes and finches but that was it, still the walk warmed me up for the gym.

about a dozen this morning on colton lane at the junction with school lane.

Winter magic!

Had an out of county wander into north Lincs at weekend andself found some waxwings near North Cotes.No camera, and by time got back, light had gone.But they were feeding in the snow!Awesome.Rewarded with late hunting Barn Owl.
Today, with a day off , Redhouse woods, with redpolls now numbering 500+,siskins,woodcock,little owl and a day hunting Tawny.I guess many of these birds are struggling , but great to see!

Am convinced I have some unusal redpolls, but so high up.Will post further on id section, still feel some are good contenders for other than Lesser!

Attachments

• barnowl1.jpg
    barnowl1.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 82
  • barnowl2.jpg
    barnowl2.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 100
  • redpoll8.jpg
    redpoll8.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 101
  • tawnyowl.jpg
    tawnyowl.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 107
  • marshtit.jpg
    marshtit.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
And the rest!

Not all in chronological order!

Attachments

• wax4.jpg
    wax4.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 61
  • wax5.jpg
    wax5.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 70
  • wax6.jpg
    wax6.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 92
  • wax7.jpg
    wax7.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 78
  • woodcock.jpg
    woodcock.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 101
Some cracking pics as usual there Doc & Jim. Without asking you the ins and outs of your gear, do you have to spend a fortune on lenses etc. to get shots like those?!

photography

Some cracking pics as usual there Doc & Jim. Without asking you the ins and outs of your gear, do you have to spend a fortune on lenses etc. to get shots like those?!

Hi 'secret'
I have gone for good lens and body as its my main interest and i got fed up with digiscoping.Was lucky enough to be left a bit of dosh when my mum died..glad I bought what i did..or else the ex would have squandered that too!!(definitely bitter, nearly twisted;)).
However ..u can get brilliant results with cheaper gear....but remember for everyone we post we bin 100s..am sure Jim would agree!

Go onto the photography section and post ..if u know your budget would be helpful..should get lots of helpful replies.
If u want to know specifics..pm me!
Paul

Cheers Doc, very helpful. Only just started digiscoping and really enjoying it but I'm already wanting those crystal clear shots. It's bloody addictive isn't it?! I think I may have to wait until after Santa has been and gone before I start looking at cameras...

Thanks again

Flamborough Lighthouse 6/12/10

Big mixed flock of Brambling, Yellowhammer, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Tree Sparrow, Skylark, Lapland Bunting, Reed Bunting, Linnet, Greenfinch in and around the bird cover crop south of the lighthouse , also 3 Woodcock, 2 Barn Owls, 25 Snipe (including 11 feeding in the pools on the grass overspill car park) , 20 Golden Plover's, 2 Curlew, had a Buzzard and Snipe over our house first thing this morn, and a Grey Heron on the side of our pond,
Birds6thDec014.jpg

about a dozen this morning on colton lane at the junction with school lane.

Not really a surpise they'd still be in the area and not that far from where I looked. Just didn't have the time or else I would have walked over a wider area. Should have tried Saturday but it slipped my mind with the other stuff I had to do.
Still, they may stick around another week.
Cheers.

Quick wander out behind my flat today resulted in 2 Jack Snipe on the small part of unfrozen water, nice suprise!

Nice find Tim, the new lakes on Heslington East have lots of potential. Already this year they've had Water Pipit, plus more expected waders such as LRP, Ringed Plover, Common & Green Sand and they were good for passage Wheatear in the spring & Yellow Wag. The only downside is disturbance but once they're finished it will be a big stretch of water and a very handy patch for you for the time being.

Several very keen birders work on campus, so fingers crossed that there's a reason to come dashing across before too long....

Redpolls

check out initial responses to birds seen today at redhouse on id section;;looking good for mealy ..but maybe arctic!Come on guys make my day! Thoughts of yorkshires best required!
Paul

ps I dont think all are lessers!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back