• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (11 Viewers)

Hi zing, welcome to BF. Nice photos. That last one has got me a bit baffled. Is there any open water at Bubwith or anywhere in the LDV at present?

Hi zing, welcome to BF. Nice photos. That last one has got me a bit baffled. Is there any open water at Bubwith or anywhere in the LDV at present?

thanks for the kind comments i am very much a beginner and will be looking for guidance from all you experts out there.have been following you all for the last couple of months, and have now taken the plunge.

Bubwith water levels are high but very frozen all the shots were taken on Monday in trees to the left of the bridge.

Bubwith Birder

thanks for the kind comments i am very much a beginner and will be looking for guidance from all you experts out there.have been following you all for the last couple of months, and have now taken the plunge.

Bubwith water levels are high but very frozen all the shots were taken on Monday in trees to the left of the bridge.

Bubwith Birder

If by Monday you mean the 20th I am amazed there was any open water (unless the birds are keeping open by their presence). The plan is (was) for a Tyke meet on the 27th weather permitting. You would be more than welcome to come along (see here).

If by Monday you mean the 20th I am amazed there was any open water (unless the birds are keeping open by their presence). The plan is (was) for a Tyke meet on the 27th weather permitting. You would be more than welcome to come along (see here).

sorry, i was not clear the first shot was from the flood bank lots of open water derwent well in flood, other shots were taken yesterday lunchtime,the last one i think is a Redwing which i startled and captured as he left the tree.

went back today derwent now very badly frozen some open water, all the water in front of the hides frozen solid.

had a good two days all be it brief, whooper and mutes plenty of grey lags, widgeon and canadas and lots of what looked like white farmyard geese on the water. plenty of coots and teal also Redwing (50+) Fieldfare (100+) also spotted woodcock, and three bullfinches (sadly no pics) also what looked like lots of Sanderling (will need someone to confirm) Bubwith Birder

sorry, i was not clear the first shot was from the flood bank lots of open water derwent well in flood, other shots were taken yesterday lunchtime,the last one i think is a Redwing which i startled and captured as he left the tree.

went back today derwent now very badly frozen some open water, all the water in front of the hides frozen solid.

had a good two days all be it brief, whooper and mutes plenty of grey lags, widgeon and canadas and lots of what looked like white farmyard geese on the water. plenty of coots and teal also Redwing (50+) Fieldfare (100+) also spotted woodcock, and three bullfinches (sadly no pics) also what looked like lots of Sanderling (will need someone to confirm) Bubwith Birder

Hi Zing,

I think the birds you thought were Sanderling will most likely be Golden Plover.

Dave.

advice on redwings please

hi all i havent posted on here for ages although i check this forum out everyday...i live in south kirkby and on my way to work the last 2 mornings i have spotted 4 redwings sat in the exact same spot on both..it is in a dodgy spot for pedestrians on a tight junction with no pavement...just wanted to ask how flighty are these beautiful birds because without getting my self run over or shot by the farmer for trespassing i would be very close and personal..hoping to try for a good photo oppurtunity too

Can't compete with Jim!!

but hopefully no one minds the pics coming..especially at this time of year! Few of mine from redhouse today..meally yes..still no arctic!! Aaaarrggghhhhh!

Attachments

• redpoll30.jpg
    redpoll30.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 65
  • siskin8.jpg
    siskin8.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 71
  • redweb6.jpg
    redweb6.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 70
  • redpoll28.jpg
    redpoll28.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 88
  • siskin7.jpg
    siskin7.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 74
finally nailed the nuthatch??

when i say nailed i mean got a shot or two that i am happy with ..over the last few months i have taken many hundreds of photos of this bird and left myself with these 5

Attachments

• nh crop 1.jpg
    nh crop 1.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 67
  • nh fin.89.jpg
    nh fin.89.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 18-12-2010 024.jpg
    18-12-2010 024.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 45nut.jpg
    45nut.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 66
  • fin3.1.jpg
    fin3.1.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 55
There's some gorgeous lighting out at the moment, so make the most of it. Went out at -10° o'clock to get some really early light. Been thinking of this shot since the really cold snap last winter, really wanted a smew but there you go. Ice and mist.

That's the best yet, Jim. Absolutely beautiful.

Graham

3 Woodcock feeding in our garden since this morn, a pic of one of them
Birds22Dec009.jpg

Tree Sparrow flocks?

Hi

Just wondering if anyone coming across any big TS flocks in this weather?

My own take on this judging from the emails I get at treesparrows.com is that birds are much more reliant on garden feeders now and consequently the population is fragmented and large flocks rarely happen, despite there being some attempt by conservation /farming bodies to provide unharvested crops etc. This also leads to small garden colonies where they take up nestboxes. All very good for the birds of course.

Any feedback would be of interest, and any sightings here

Well finally broke the waxwing duck! Came across a flock in a car park in Bingley - of course I didn't have my camera with me, so mad rush back home, got the camera, back to the car park . . . and the beggars had sodded off! Was I gutted. But chose to hang around for a while and was delighted when the flock of around 20 returned and I managed to get a few shots.
Cheers.
Tom

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 71
Hi

Just wondering if anyone coming across any big TS flocks in this weather?

My own take on this judging from the emails I get at treesparrows.com is that birds are much more reliant on garden feeders now and consequently the population is fragmented and large flocks rarely happen, despite there being some attempt by conservation /farming bodies to provide unharvested crops etc. This also leads to small garden colonies where they take up nestboxes. All very good for the birds of course.

Any feedback would be of interest, and any sightings here

My parents live on Martongate, Bridlington, and have a resident flock around their feeders at all times of the year. Not sure if numbers have increased over the winter or not, although 4 years ago there were no Tree Sparrows about at all.

Well finally broke the waxwing duck! Came across a flock in a car park in Bingley - of course I didn't have my camera with me, so mad rush back home, got the camera, back to the car park . . . and the beggars had sodded off! Was I gutted. But chose to hang around for a while and was delighted when the flock of around 20 returned and I managed to get a few shots.
Cheers.
Tom

Nice photos Tom.

I managed to see a solitary waxwing a few weeks ago but have otherwise missed out on the current influx.

Whereabouts in Bingley did you see these, I might go down tomorrow?

Graeme

Users who are viewing this thread

Back