• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kestrel with blue upper tail-coverts in Hampstead heath (London) (1 Viewer)

I was having a family walk in Hampstead Heath yesterday and we saw a kestrel close by. Didn't have binoculars .... but it let us get very close, about 10-12 feet away and on a bough just above head height, it flew to another bough close by and let us get close again and then flew off a little further away.

Amazed to see it so close, perhaps it is tame?

Although I am at best a bad birdwatcher, this was definitely a kestrel, but I did notice when it flew that its upper tail-coverts were blue. There was no other blue on the bird.

No reference to this in my field guide. Can anyone tell me what this might indicate?

Thanks!

Hi Simon,

This indicates that the bird you saw was an ad. male. The blue should extend up to the rump, then in to the rusty red of the mantle.

dwayne950 said:
Hi Simon,

This indicates that the bird you saw was an ad. male. The blue should extend up to the rump, then in to the rusty red of the mantle.

Thanks Dan, I'm sure what I saw will be regular but the blue didn't extend and was blue rather than slate. I'll check my other field guide tonight .... should have had my camera with me!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back