• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

YLG or Caspian, Cambs, UK (1 Viewer)

marklhawkes

Below photo taken in Cambs during last week. I have my suspisions as to the ID, but am interested in others opinions?

Attachments

• Casp-1.JPG
    Casp-1.JPG
    381.2 KB · Views: 187
That looks very similar to the 'barabensis' Caspian Gulls we sometimes get here in winter, at least the bill length does. Will investigate more anon...thogh sure others more knowledgeable will post. before I get the chance.

Sean
Hiroshima

Hi Mark.

Most probably a 1st winter/summer (2cy) Yellow-legged Gull moulting to 2nd winter, note the second generation tertial and the many other second generation feathers indicating YLG over CG.

JanJ

Hmm indeed having a look again head and bill structure seem most like Yellow-legged so that gets my vote... see Jan also thinks so which presumably is a good thing...

See I knew a real expert like Jan would post:)

Not suggesting you don't know what you are talking about by the way Josh..just Jan is the gulls man on this forum...and anway you both agree!

I really need to look at moult of these bigger gulls in more detail. However, seems the more I look the less I am certain about such things, as well as primary patterns.

I was just interested in the bill structure, as it seemd more longer and slenderer than the Mongolian Gulls we get here, and more in keeping with the 'barabensis' gulls as I said, though the 2nd year feathers coming through do as Jan says indicate a Yellow-Legged.

Just haven't really seen enough Yellow-legged and 'cachinaans' Caspian in recent years I guess..so I'll stay out of future ID's.

Sean
Hiroshima

Re above message from lostinjapan: Dont stay out f future Gull discussions mate. Its interesting reading about the diffrences with the Gulls you get over there. (looks like Y L Gull to me too.)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back