• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rocket Blower (1 Viewer)

Lisa W

I really need to get out and bird more
Staff member
Supporter
United States
I want to buy a Rocket Blower to use for cleaning the CCD sensor on my 20D. I've been using the wet method from CopperHill, but have decided the rocket will be easier for most dust.
Anyway, I've gone on Ebay and they have 3 different sizes:
Small - 5.3" high
Medium - 6.7" high and
Large - 7.5" high

Can someone please tell me which size I need to have enough air to blow the dust off but not to much?
Thanks,
Lisa

I want to buy a Rocket Blower to use for cleaning the CCD sensor on my 20D. I've been using the wet method from CopperHill, but have decided the rocket will be easier for most dust.
Anyway, I've gone on Ebay and they have 3 different sizes:
Small - 5.3" high
Medium - 6.7" high and
Large - 7.5" high

Can someone please tell me which size I need to have enough air to blow the dust off but not to much?
Thanks,
Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Can't help you, but I hope you get more replies (i.e. at least one) than I did to my enquiry on the 3rd September under the thread on here called "Which sensor cleaner is best?"

Adrian

I don't really know what you wanted to hear, Adrian - it seems pointless for people to actually create a post just to say "I don't know..."

If you don't get an answer, just assume it's because nobody can help - its nothing personal.

Lisa, I use the large blower, but they'll all do the job - the smaller one might fit better in your camera bag when you're out and about.

A word of warning though: all blowers are not created equal. Some budget blowers are made from a rubber compound which will dump a ton of rubber paarticles onto your sensor with every use.

Unless you're absolutely certain that the blowers on Ebay are by Giottos or some other reputable manufacturer, I'd steer clear and buy one from a reputable camera store.

I got an off brand air blower that is very similar to the rocket and it very successfully cleared the spot on my Sony sensor the camera's self clean wouldn't.

Lisa, I'm with Keith on everything except the size of blower - get the big one! I have a small and large rocket blower and the small doesn't seem to move as many spots. The small one does live in my bag and is used for blowing sand and grit off the outside of my gear (as well as dust off the glass!).

Hi Mike,

yeah, I'm sure there are great off brand blowers out there, but there's always that risk, and you won't know you've got a good one until you've tried it - by which time it might be too late.

I'm just thinking "better safe than sorry" really.

Giottos Rockets have a filter in the air intake valve at the bottom too, to prevent dust from being sucked in - another thing worth having just in case.

Keith, Mark and Mike,
Thanks for the information. The only camera store within 75 miles doesn't carry any blowers - the owner is so old fashioned he said to use a ear syringe. :eek!:
Guess it will have to be Ebay, will really try not to get a knock off, at the prices I've seen might just get two, the small and large (much cheaper than the 40D my roomie has said no to :-C)
Thanks again,
Lisa

Oh, I actually bought my camera lenses from there, why didn't I think of them for this?
Thanks, Keith!

Giottos Rockets! can't beat em, go for the large one does a great job and is also great for scaring our new puppy who like to bite everything in site including my camera trigger finger :cool:
Cheers
Brian

I don't really know what you wanted to hear, Adrian - it seems pointless for people to actually create a post just to say "I don't know..."

If you don't get an answer, just assume it's because nobody can help - its nothing personal

Hi Keith,

No, I didn't take it personally, but thanks for your concern. It's just that the most naive enquiries seem to elicite the most edifying replies so that I hoped for some enlightenment! Anyway, I'm going for really "naive" this time - when you blow the dust off the sensor, à la the Rocket Blower, where does one hope it goes? Does it hang around in the camera body or get blown out of the open door at the front? I'm inclined to the "Dust-Aid" concept since it removes the grot on the sensor, but worried about actually touching this most sensitive part of the whole camera with something physical and wondered what others thought? Also, the Manufacturer's web site (linked from Warehouse Express) mentions deficiencies in consistency of the quality of the Canon process in laying down the filter over the CCD which seem to have been ignored in the UK marketing of the product (I have the 20D DSLR).

Regards

Adrian

Adrian, using a rocket blower mainly just blows the dust around the inside of the camera to be honest. However, it does get most of it off the sensor!

Most of the other cleaning methods remove the dirt by physically touching the filter over the sensor, so I am not sure what you are asking...

Adrian,
I've used the wet method from Copper Hill http://www.copperhillimages.com/ for a little over a year now. It does a great job, however, I would rather try and get the dust off with a rocket blower first. As the rocket blower won't touch the sensor. I've also read threads from some of the really fine photographers on here about how well the blower works, so feel pretty confident about it.

"Also, the Manufacturer's web site (linked from Warehouse Express) mentions deficiencies in consistency of the quality of the Canon process in laying down the filter over the CCD which seem to have been ignored in the UK marketing of the product (I have the 20D DSLR). "

I haven't heard about this, so will let the guys from your side of the pond respond to it.

B&H is offline for ordering until Saturday night. Will order my rocket blowers from them at that time.
Thanks again to all for the help.
Lisa
PS - Gavin wish that trick would work with my new 18 month old and his cat obsession, but he'll probably just stare at me.:-O

Adrian,
I've used the wet method from Copper Hill http://www.copperhillimages.com/ for a little over a year now. It does a great job, however, I would rather try and get the dust off with a rocket blower first. As the rocket blower won't touch the sensor. I've also read threads from some of the really fine photographers on here about how well the blower works, so feel pretty confident about it.
[

Thanks for that Lisa. I'm with you on this and have ordered a Rocket Blower from Warehouse Express over here.

Kind regards

Adrian

I have the Giottos rocket blower. I think it is about the same size as the large Rocket Blower. In two years, I had to clean my 350Ds sensor only once and it worked quite well.

I have the Giottos rocket blower. I think it is about the same size as the large Rocket Blower. In two years, I had to clean my 350Ds sensor only once and it worked quite well.
Same as you Mac, I only ever used a Rocket Blower once on my 350D - never needed any other cleaning in over two years.

What are you two doing (or not doing!) with your 350D to keep them clean? Keeping them in the original, unopened packaging in a hermetic sealed cupboard?

Are you only shooting wide open, so don't see the dust, or never change lenses?

What are you two doing (or not doing!) with your 350D to keep them clean? Keeping them in the original, unopened packaging in a hermetic sealed cupboard?

Are you only shooting wide open, so don't see the dust, or never change lenses?
When changing lens I always:
a) Power off
b) Get the new lens all ready
c) Make sure the Camera is pointing down
d) Change as quick as Possible

Also I do not have the 'dust sucking lens';););)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back