• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

100-400 or 400 5.6 ? (1 Viewer)

The number of blades that make up the aperture does have some effect, but it is whether the aperture blade edges are straight or curved that makes the difference when there are fewer blades because Bokeh (pronounced like 'Bloke' without the L as I understand) is related to the effect of 'circles of confusion' and spherical aberation.
The more circular the aperture when no aberation is present, whether lots of blades or curved edges are employed, then the more even toned the C of C is and therefore the better the bokeh, when there are fewer and/or straight edged blades combined with some aberation the C of C is less even toned, usually bright at the edges, and gives a less pleasing Bokeh. This effect is really exagerated when you look at the doughnut effect halo's bokeh of a mirror lens that has dark centred C of Cs (due to the mirror in the front element)

Some useless information about Bokeh...I understand that it comes from the Japenese verb bo-ke-ru, meaning to fade out or dull. Bo-ke can also mean slow or senile...so careful how you use it, you may cause offence.

I always thought it was pronounced 'bow-keh', so had to do some digging when Nigel thought otherwise...and based on the Japenese origins, think I am at least nearly right ;)

The most interesting read I found on the subject was an article by Mike Johnston on Luminous Landscape: Bokeh in Pictures

Last edited:
I always thought it was pronounced 'bow-keh', so had to do some digging when Nigel thought otherwise...and based on the Japenese origins, think I am at least nearly right ;)

The most interesting read I found on the subject was an article by Mike Johnston on Luminous Landscape: Bokeh in Pictures

Yes I read this, its interesting that Johnston lays claim to adding the H on the end.
My first memory of the word dates back to about 1978/9 when I was working on 'Superman 2' with the late Derek Meddings visual effects team, although then the word (used by one of the camera crew) with the same meaning as 'Bokeh' was pronounced as "Bock" and used in reference to the effect of it being able to be used to help disguise the wires that suspended Superman on film, thus saving the cost of removing them optically........... now its done at the touch of a few buttons on a keyboard!

In these digital days the Bokeh of a lens is really of far less interest than when shooting film, as you can select and change it at the touch of a keyboard too...........

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

Wow, my second post! Hard to contribute much when I'm not a birder yet. Anyhoo...

Off and on over the past 2 years I've been researching the Canon 100-400 & 400 5.6 L lenses.

I plan to buy 1 of them, just not sure which, and they'll have to suffice for years to come because the 500 or 600mm lenses are out of the question, unless I take a mortgage out on my house lol.

The lens will strictly be for birding. So my first question is - If I buy the 100-400 won't I find myself at the long end most of the time? And if so, it would seem to make sense to by the 400 5.6 for the sharpness at the long end and for BIF shots.

But then you have the IS of the 100-400. But I have a tripod so I don't mind using that.

Then there's the composition factor - if I stumble upon bigger birds with the 400 5.6, like Herons, or if I want to compose a shot with the backround, the 100-400 seems to make sense.

So I'm confused, and have been, ever since I became interested in birding.

The 100-400 seems to be the most popular with reviews at various websites and even at places like adaroma.com and amazon.com. That makes sense, since #1 it has IS and #2 it's more versatile for things beyond birds.

I think I'm convincing myself to buy the 100-400 the more I write because the versatility factor alone for taking other wildlife photos, or photos that aren't even nature related to begin with.

I'd sure appreciate any advice anyone can offer! Thanks in advance!
Paul

I am in the same boat as you with all the same LONG consideratons. First I thought the EF 400 f/5.6 would be the best choice for me - but now I am leaning more against the EF 100-400, cos I think it is the best lens at 400mm and it has IS. I think my shooting style will demand IS. That´s why the EF 100-400 is on my wish list and as you mentioned, some people in here do mange to get great shots with this lens. My only main concern is to get bad copy.

I am in the same boat as you with all the same LONG consideratons. First I thought the EF 400 f/5.6 would be the best choice for me - but now I am leaning more against the EF 100-400, cos I think it is the best lens at 400mm and it has IS. I think my shooting style will demand IS. That´s why the EF 100-400 is on my wish list and as you mentioned, some people in here do mange to get great shots with this lens. My only main concern is to get bad copy.
I have seen many hundreds of post's that claim the 400 f5.6 is better/sharper than the 100-400 at the 400 end (not that I necessarily agree) but this is the first time I have seen a post to say that the zoom is better than the prime at 400mm - maybe this will start a trend ;)

I have seen many hundreds of post's that claim the 400 f5.6 is better/sharper than the 100-400 at the 400 end (not that I necessarily agree) but this is the first time I have seen a post to say that the zoom is better than the prime at 400mm - maybe this will start a trend ;)

Romy Ocon is on record as saying that he owns a 100-400mm that's just as sharp as his 400mm prime, so equal sharpness + IS might well put the zoom on top in the Real World..!

;)

To be fair, Websurfer simply said "best at" 400mm - that's not just sharpness - and as you know, I have a bit of sympathy for that view myself!

Last edited:
Romy Ocon is on record as saying that he owns a 100-400mm that's just as sharp as his 400mm prime, so equal sharpness + IS might well put the zoom on top in the Real World..!

;)

To be fair, Websurfer simply said "best at" 400mm - that's not just sharpness - and as you know, I have a bit of sympathy for that view myself!
I do not think you actually read my post Keith - I do not make any comparison one way or the other (how could I as I do not have both lenses to compare). I assume you have tried both lenses, but I have not.

I stick by my observation that this is the first time I have ever seen a post which claims that the zoom is actually better than the prime at 400mm.
The way I read it, this did not take into account I.S. because the poster stated after claiming it was better that it also had I.S.

Even the post that you quote only says it is as sharp as the prime - maybe if you scan the forums for a few days you will find another post which claims it is sharper/better but I have never seen one. :t:

Yeah, I read it, Roy - you said:

this is the first time I have seen a post to say that the zoom is better than the prime at 400mm

and I'm just responding to that comment (with smileys!) - as I keep saying, there's more to sharp pictures than just a sharp lens...

;)

Last edited:

if it´s the first time - then you´ve the second time here. I know which one I find to be best performing of these at 400mm in the test belove. and remember it´s a zoom with advantage in terms of versatility amd IS. Due to the fact that this lens is performing so good at the long end, it´s a very fine lens indeed. For my shooting style this lens will be the best performing lens at 400mm for sure. Simply because it has IS. I like wandering around as well - I hate sitting with a tripod waiting most of the time.

Link for test

Last edited:
I like wandering around as well - I hate sitting with a tripod waiting most of the time.

Where did the tripod come into it.I also would hate sitting with a tripod waiting most of the time which is why I do not use one - as I have said many times before, the 400 5.6 is easily hand holdable. Where people get the idea that you must have a tripod I do not know. In fact I would say most people who have this lens do not use a tripod.
I would add that I have used a tripod on the rare occasions when I stack both the 1.4 and 2x converters with the lens but we are talking about 1120mm which would be very difficult to hand hold even with a 4 stop IS system let alone the 2 stops that the 100-400 has.
It is funny how all the 100-400 users go on about the versatility of the zoom and yet they almost all dream of upgrading to a prime at sometime. e.g. 300 f2.8, 400 f2.8, 400 f4, 500, f4 or 600 f4. I never hear the guys with these big prime lenses dreaming of a zoom lens (unless Canon come up with, say a 200-500 'L').

The main thing is that whichever lens you have - enjoy it, they are meant to be used not argued over.:t:

Last edited:
Where did the tripod come into it.........:

A. q from Arthur Morris:
" If you want an everyday bird photography lens, the EF 400mm f/5.6L lens is still the better choice (unless you absolutely refuse to use a tripod)."
Link

According to the words of a great bird photographer I just cannot ignore the usage of a tripod. That´s why I mentioned it.

Last edited:
I was thinking specifically about the 100-400 which I knew you had for sale a while back. I have nothing against zoom lenses - I have three of them myself.

Yes I still have one of the two 100-400mm lenses that I had.

It is a very good lens and I personally think that there is a lot of tosh about its quality on the net, and that much of the problems of sharpness that are expressed is down to user error rather than lens problems, I have even proved this to a couple of people by shooting images with their lenses that are, to their surprise, sharper than what they get themselves! Long lenses do take some getting used to and lots of people are all to willing to blame the kit rather than themselves.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back