• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

East Kalimantan - Report w/ Peacock Pheasant - whoo hoo (1 Viewer)

TheMcNeills

All,
On the back end of a work trip to East Kalimantan I spent two nights at Sungai Wain Protected Forest about 45 minutes from the CBD of Balikpapan. It is important to note that access to the forest has changed, so be aware! Bule (foreigners) are no longer allowed to camp anywhere in the forest, enter after dark and not allowed to walk past camp 2. This dramatically restricts access to some of the good primary forest, which holds Orang-tuan. I was forced to camp / stay in the village and walk in each day with limited trails and a lot of duplication of the same birding area. Access was cheap, I spent 375000 R (41 AU / USD) in total for two and a half day access with a ranger and a place to stay (very very basic place to stay).

Having said this, I did see over 60 species of birds in 2 days and a bit (list below) and heard a fair few others. The birding was still good and I managed great views and a poor photograph of a female Borneo Peacock Pheasant which is a mega. I have birded a few weekends around SE Asia, usually in conjunction of work trips and found the species very similar to Panti Forest north of Singapore with very few Borneo Endemics about. I had no guide support, only a tag along ranger who spoke no English, so I was on my own. I did not mind this, but I am sure I missed many things due to my lack of regional knowledge or an up to date ear.

The forest is obviously being well protected as indicator species, such as Hornbills and Mammals were common. I saw Otters, Barking Deer, Mouse Deer, many types of Squirrel and Tree Shrew and three species of Primate...however I was not able to get to the forest which held Orang-utan.
Anyone who has a reason to be in Balikpapan in east Kalimantan should consider extending their stay for a visit here. Ground-Cuckoo is also possible as well as a good selection of other birds. If anyone is interested in a more detailed list or help with logistics, feel free to contact me.

themcneills 'AT' rocketmail.com

Brahminy Kite
White-bellied Sea-Eagle
Bornean Peacock-Pheasant
Common Emerald Dove
Green Imperial-Pigeon
Chestnut-breasted Malkoha
Malaysian Eared-Nightjar
Edible-nest Swiftlet
Gray-rumped Treeswift
Scarlet-rumped Trogon
Rufous-backed Dwarf-Kingfisher
Stork-billed-Kingfisher
Rufous-collared Kingfisher
Blue-throated Bee-eater
Bushy-crested Hornbill
Asian Black Hornbill
Red-crowned Barbet
White-bellied Woodpecker
Orange-backed Woodpecker
Black-and-red Broadbill
Banded Broadbill
Garnet Pitta
Pacific Swallow
Scarlet Minivet
Black-winged Flycatcher-Shrike
Yellow-vented Bulbul
Olive-winged Bulbul
Red-eyed Bulbul
Yellow-bellied Bulbul
Hairy-backed Bulbul
Blue-winged Leafbird
White-rumped Shama
Rufous-tailed Shama
Ferruginous Jungle-Babbler
Short-tailed Babbler
Black-capped Jungle-Babbler
Moustached Tree-Babbler
Sooty-capped Tree-Babbler
Scaly-crowned Tree-Babbler
Rufous-crowned Tree-Babbler
Gray-headed Babbler
Black-throated Babbler
Chestnut-rumped Babbler
Chestnut-winged Babbler
Striped Tit-Babbler
Fluffy-backed Tit-Babbler
White-bellied Yuhina
Arctic Warbler
Gray-chested Jungle-Flycatcher
Rufous-winged Philentoma
Black-naped Monarch
Pied Fantail
Spotted Fantail
Yellow-breasted Flowerpecker
Brown-throated Sunbird
Bronzed Drongo
Greater Racquet-tailed Drongo
Black Jay
Slender-billed Crow
Hill Myna
Eurasian Tree Sparrow

Roger McNeill
SEQ – Samford Valley, Australia

Interesting stuff Roger. We arrived in Balikpapan on a ferry from Sulawesi, but decided not to bother with Sungai Wain, as it seemed too logistically sketchy, and we figured it might not be too productive. Wish we'd given it a shot now! RT Shama and GC Jungle Flycatcher not to be sniffed at, as well as the fabulous peacock-pheasant. Well done!

Not a photographer, but managed to get some good photos of the flycatcher. I enjoyed the place, next time I hope for the ground-cuckoo!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back