• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Borneo - where to go? (1 Viewer)

Winterdune

Hi all,

I've been to Borneo before - Sabah - and birded at Kinabalu, Sepilok etc etc. Now I'd like to go again, with my family, and am trying to decide whether to go to Sarawak or Kalimantan next July/August. We will be taking our small children (under 10) so it will not be a total hard-core birding trip, but they do really enjoy rainforests and wildlife, so there will be a lot of opportunities for good birding.

Can't find much about birding Kalimantan in the usual places on the net. Lots of stuff on deforestation etc but no decent trip reports or anything.

What do people think? Sarawak or Kalimantan for a 4 week trip next year? I'm cross-posting this in the Malaysia thread to see what happens there too...

Cheers,
Sean

Hio Sean,

You should try Sarawak at Mulu and Kubah National Park plus the Borneo Highland. Pygmy White Eye and Scarlet-breasted Flowerpecker is there which apparently a bit uncommon in Sabah.

About Kalimantan, probably around Mahakam river and Balikpapan province for Ibis and Bornean Peacock Pheasant :)

Thanks very much Horukuru,

In terms of a destination for me with my two small children, would you go for Sarawak rather than Kalimantan? Is it a better destination for little children (ie easier to travel to places, more entertainment for them etc)?

Sean

With kids, would be better to Sarawak as I have not been to kalimantan, what my friends told me, you really needs to look for someone who knows the area well. I have tried to contact local birders at Kalimantan many times but with out success.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back