• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tweets as SMS messages (1 Viewer)

hampers

Hampers
Apologies if this is the wrong forum.

I'm looking at one of the Bird Info services who provide reports as tweets which is fine. I understand that you can have a tweet sent as an SMS to your mobile and there seem to be service providers who support this. My problem is I'm with EE (not T-Mobile or Orange), has anyone had experience of setting this up on this carrier and if so how was to done. From my searches cannot find anything about it on EE and Twitter doesn't list EE.

Many thanks.

Phil

I'm looking at one of the Bird Info services who provide reports as tweets which is fine. I understand that you can have a tweet sent as an SMS to your mobile and there seem to be service providers who support this. My problem is I'm with EE (not T-Mobile or Orange), has anyone had experience of setting this up on this carrier and if so how was to done. From my searches cannot find anything about it on EE and Twitter doesn't list EE.

Many thanks.

Phil

As far as I understand you set it up on Twitter adding your mobile number to your account.
There is then an option to get every tweet from a specific user you follow as an SMS. Twitter then sends it as a standard SMS for free so it doesn't really matter which carrier, they all support SMS. Only problem is you receive every tweet from them and there is no way of filtering it so can mean a lot of SMS messages.

As far as I understand you set it up on Twitter adding your mobile number to your account.
There is then an option to get every tweet from a specific user you follow as an SMS. Twitter then sends it as a standard SMS for free so it doesn't really matter which carrier, they all support SMS. Only problem is you receive every tweet from them and there is no way of filtering it so can mean a lot of SMS messages.

Thank you for the reply and help.

I have tried this it specifically asks for the carrier and EE isn't listed, I chose Orange as same company, but won't authorise my number. I was wondering if anyone on EE specifically had been successful in setting it up and if so how.

Regards

Phil

Many thanks.

Phil

Tried again as result of your reply and it seems to have worked. I just used Orange as the carrier. Many thanks for the help.

Phil

I seem to remember when I did it, it took an hour or so for my phone to be registered on my Twitter account.

Twitter have come back as registered but still not getting SMS. Tried tweaking settings will have to see if works.

Cheers

Phil

Do you have to alter a setting on your phone? Allow Push Notifications, or something like that.

I just remember that it took a few hours for SMS messages to actually start coming through.

Do you have to alter a setting on your phone? Allow Push Notifications, or something like that.

I just remember that it took a few hours for SMS messages to actually start coming through.

Alan
Thanks for that, will wait till tomorrow then before further investigation. Have all settings correct as far as I can see and still not getting them.

Cheers

Phil

Alan
Thanks for that, will wait till tomorrow then before further investigation. Have all settings correct as far as I can see and still not getting them.

Cheers

Phil

That is what I did - wait till tomorrow (well I gave up really)

I had read various guides on the net on the "how to" and as far as I could see I had everything correctly set up.

Then next day - it worked.

Best thing to do hampers is in twitter, set up your own list with all your top birdnews sites and then when you log onto twitter you can just view those instead of everyone you follow.

CB

CB
Yes can do that but its possible to get tweets sent as SMS messages, that's what I can't get working in spite of having settings seemingly correct and mirroring a friends. No idea what the problem is.

Cheers

Phil

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back