• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

experiment bob (1 Viewer)

woodhornbirder

I bought one of these recently 2nd hand.

http://www.celestron.com/c3/product.php?ProdID=203

comes with a 45deg prism. ANy suggestions about these affecting image quality for terrestial viewing? How do I work out what is a good prism and what will deterioate the image?
[do i mean diagonal? is that the same as a prism?]

I have some ep left over from my pentax 80mm. inc a 16mm uwa williams optics. (75x 82 deg)

Not expecting it to be much use past 80x due to dull image but in theory it would go over 100x.
I think in english ave light it will be impractical to push it past 70x.[focal length=1200]

Have used cheapy mak scopes and been impressed with the lack of colour aberation, however this is balanced by a lower contrast image.

Scope should arrive next week...just in timef for my birthday....:-O

Last edited:
The 45 degree prisms are junk, there's no other word to use. They're cheap Schmidt roof prisms without phase coating, guaranteed to ruin the image of any telescope. Fortunately there's a flip mirror inside the scope that can erect the image, but it reverses right and left. It probably uses standard aluminum coating, so any 90 degree star diagonal prism will be brighter, but that would still reverse right and left and cost about $30-$40. I'd start with the internal flip mirror which ought to be OK.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back