• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Losing the internet (1 Viewer)

Kits

Picture Picker
For the past five days, I have been losing the internet about 5-6 times a day. I click on the internet icon and then click on the network we use and then it comes back on. However, I have no idea why I keep losing the connection.

Has anyone else had the same problem? If so, what caused it and how did you cure it?

I am on a Mac, but don't think that makes any difference.

Hi Kits,
You have just discovered one of the "joys" of the internet ;)
It can be caused by many things.
First of unplug all connections and have a bit of a look and give them a quick wipe....any new moisture or corrosion etc.
That may work........

But my bet it's a bit further up the line and will be a problem with your isp, quite possibly in the cabinet or one step back from that at the exchange.

Have you had a lot of rain lately ?

Anyway best way to get this sorted is to give your isp a ring .....with some luck you will not have an Indian call center.
No offence to Indian folks but a call center that uses voip coupled with a strong accent and very little knowledge beyond the script they follow on their puta makes for fun conversations......

Unfortunately Kits theres two types of internet users .... those that have been through this and those that will 8-P

If it's within your current tech ability you could try resetting your router, it'll be on the call center staffs things they will talk you through otherwise.

Basically check as much of the hardware at your end that you can, then hassle your isp ..... and don't give up till problem solved.

Enjoy !!

I heard an amusing story like this on an astronomy website. A chap would go out use his GOTO scope. Just after 9pm his neighbour would call round complaining that the scope was interfering with his tell. This went on for a week or so, with the neighbour complaining to the Council, who couldn't find a problem.

Be a nice chap, and realising his elderly neighbour didn't know much about electronics, the scope owner called round one night, just before 9, to see if he could help. As he was stood in the kitchen, drinking tea, the neighbour's heating clicked on at 9 and the TV went down. Bingo! Not his scope at all!

I read this thread about 2 months before our internet started cutting out at 6:30 every evening, just after putting our baby girl off to bed. Remembering the story, I soon discovered it wad the video monitor casing our problems. Something to do with wireless changing channels for a stronger signal and the 2 trying to use the same waveband.

A quick change of the video monitor channel solved our problem and I have to do it every 3 months or so.

Hope your problem is as simple to cure?

GrahameNZ - yes, lots of rain! I reset the router when it first started but it continued.

TheThing - I think the problem is now cured!

Someone suggested that I went to the Service Status page for my IPS (eventually got there after clicking through lots of pages!) and it seems that BT have been doing nationwide planned maintenance but it was completed at 8am today. We shall see!

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

As other replies have noted - there are many causes. To give a specific answer is difficult without knowing all your setup details eg internet supplier etc. Try smurfing the internet ie google it. Here are two specific but different problems we've had:-

1. PlusNet - has a problem with Dell laptops. Keeps dropping connection. Have to disable network settings e.g. disable wireless N on the wireless adaptor.

2. BT Homehub is interferred with by electricty monitors and keeps trying to change to strongest wireless channel and hence keeps dropping out.

regards
JungleBabbler

For the past five days, I have been losing the internet about 5-6 times a day. I click on the internet icon and then click on the network we use and then it comes back on. However, I have no idea why I keep losing the connection.

Has anyone else had the same problem? If so, what caused it and how did you cure it?

I am on a Mac, but don't think that makes any difference.

Hi I have had an i Mac for a couple of month an had the same problem - I eventually rang the apple help and a very helpful lady talked me through how to set it up properly - It has been much better since but still loses the internet on the odd occasion - it never happens on my PC which I still have - I think it is a mac thing probably Lion.

Regards

Mike

Killy I'm not sure how the platform relates to the issue of losing your internet connection, surely this is between the router and the ISP

Our wireless router needing a system upgrade has been the cause of our poor internet connectivity. Twice now. Plus occasionally having to power everything off from time to time

Killy - I have had a Mac for nearly two years and have been on Lion since it came out, and this problem has only occurred in the past ten days, so I don't think it is a Mac problem.

I spoke too soon by saying that the problem was fixed! Yesterday afternoon it dropped out about five times. Today has been fine (so far). However, I read on the BT site that they are going to be upgrading the local exchange this week, so I expect more trouble!

I've had trouble in the past few weeks with my internet connection. I eventually changed my router which has done the job.

A couple of years ago I had the same problem and it was the sky television phoneline connection that was causing the problem. I simply plugged it out from the wall connection and left it out. I had just my normal landline and internet connection plugged into the wall from then on.

Ger.

Hi Kits,
The reason I mentioned rain is it's a cause of probs where I am at present and at a previous address.
The net comes right a day or so after it stops when the ground has had a chance to dry out then starts playing up when things get sodden again.
Using wireless net rather than wired.

A couple of other thoughts, has you line filter decided to die ??
Quite common, if you don't have a spare one they're cheep as or you could swap yours with a mate or neighbour etc for a couple of days.

Have you just had a new monitored alarm, medical alarm installed ??

It can be many things causing this.
Trial and error swapping things out is about the best way to solve it.
Do you have an old router to try etc....

Work on the cabinets sound good to me ............. usually :)

Happy hunting.

Thanks, Grahame. I was chatting with friends about it today, and one of them said apparently our provider was suffering problems because of the huge amount of rain we have had. I suspect the fact that our local exchange is about to be upgraded has a bearing on it too.

Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions.

I had a similar problem and like you tried a lot of things includung several calls to my provider.. It finally took my provider two visits, one by a level 3 technican (I guess that means a qualified one) to fix the problem--something wrong with the outside connections.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back