• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More than one malware scanner? (1 Viewer)

ehrodz

Is it a good idea to use more than one malware scanner in your PC along with an antivirus program? For example, I use AVG 2012 and the Malwarebytes Antimalware scanner and want to add Spybot Search and Destroy because I understand that no one scanner gets all malware. Will this give me better protection or will these three programs work at cross purposes or mess up my PC in some way? Thanks.

They won't mess up your computer but they will make it run very much slower. Of the list given I would just run AVG and scan with the other two if you are feeling paranoid.

Tea Timer in Spybot causes conflict between Norton Antispam and Spybot because it runs in the background looking for startup and registry changes:
http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Norton-has-conflicts-with-Spybot-search-and-destroy/td-p/18704
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spybot_%E2%80%93_Search_%26_Destroy#Incompatibility_and_conflicts
So do not run two or more antispam / antimalware programms simultaneously (at least two scans), because sometimes they can detect changes made by each other and probably treat them as threat to the computer. There are known also issues between Spybot nad McAfee during instalation of Spybot.
And your computer would be additionally slowed down as Mono mentioned.

Last edited:
Maybe one turned on instantly (autorun) and other ones run only manually from time to time (removed from autoruns) ?

They won't mess up your computer but they will make it run very much slower. Of the list given I would just run AVG and scan with the other two if you are feeling paranoid.

Let me see if I understand what you guys are telling me(I am a bit slow at this): I can run AVG automatically and scan with Malwarebytes and Spybot Search and Destroy manually once in a while and it woun't affect my PC?

Thanks for your help.

You are OK if you only have one running in the background which would be AVG, then use Malwarebytes manually as a second opinion when you wish. You can also get online scans and removal of malware found from Eset, Microsoft, Bitdefender and Kaspersky but make sure they are the proper well known people accessed through the proper web sites.

"Real time" protection - running all the time, may involve lots of monitoring and checking so can slow computer down.

"On demand" scanner - only runs when you set off a periodic check (or need excuse to go away from PC for a coffee) or suspect there is an issue.

I am a bit slow at this
Maybe you have too much going on "Real time" and should try to keep more things "On demand" ;) :-O

I have Microsoft Security Essentials operating at all times (real time) as anti-virus. I also have Malwarebytes and Superantispyware as malware scanners that I use manually (on demand) when the mood takes me or I think there may be a problem. I'll usually run a quick scan and if anything is found and deleted I will then run a full scan. I will usually scan for malware every 2-3 weeks and at the same time update the Malwarebytes and Superantispyware databases. This system has served me well for a good while now.

Dave

Hey looks like I'm slow too |8|| Just noticed your other thread, ehrodz. Here are some recommendations for malware scanners to try :
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=328243

Good time to sort out a system backup procedure if you can. You'd be feeling happier now, I guess, if you had a recent pre-nasty backup to restore now.

My security is same as yours Dave except I stopped with Superantispyware a while ago; found it a bit slow for periodic scans but would almost certainly download it if found a problem. Like you I haven't had a problem for ages (touch wood; seems too good to last doesn't it?...)

Lavasoft Ad-Aware is probably good too, but I use Norton Internet Security as antispyware from very long time and from always as antivirus software (real time protection), initially because it was preinstalled with Windows XP in bought computer and earlier knew it well from my work (illegaly installed for obligatory use in that case like all other software in that institute (Oncology Center in Warsaw) and probaly other Polish biological and biomedical governmental institutes, including Windows and Microsoft Office, at least those times). In the past or sometimes also Spybot Search and Destroy, Microsoft Windows Defender (and from today Microsoft Security Essentials), Lavasoft Ad-Aware, McAfee, Webroot Spy Sweeper, Aluria Spyware eliminator. When I scaned my computer first time against spyware, about 500-600 spying cookies and other spyware were detected. They were slowing down computer significantly. That's all regarding personal experience, not websites found in the internet.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back