• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Glasgow Canal, is this in Stockton on Tees? (1 Viewer)

Birdspotter

Hi all,

I am trying to unravel a name place involving an 1852 Cattle Egret, that was shot on the Glasgow Canal, 9 October (The Naturalist, 1853, iii, p.61)

Although this record is perhaps originally thought to refer to the Forth & Clyde Canal in Scotland, several historical editors have muddled up the nameplace (Yarrel & Saunders, 1885 vol 4: p192; Saunders, 1899, p377; Harting, 1901, p444; Rintoul & Baxter, 1935, p247) for instance. And as such only confusion surrounds this record!

The Naturalist states that W. Martin from Stockton-on-Tees, near Middlesbrough, reports “a specimen of this bird was shot on the 9th of October, 1852, on the Glasgow Canal by T. Jones, seaman, who brought it here; and it is now in the possession of Crawford Newby, Esq.”

So my question is is there a Glasgow Canal in/near Stockton on Tees?

Thanks

Calum.

Hi Calum, I've asked around and there is no local knowledge of a Glasgow Canal in or near Stockton-on-Tees. Also no mention of Cattle Egret in Temperleys Birds of Durham in that century. If you do make a connection of a Cattle Egret at that time in our area could you please let me know, regards, Keith.

;)
Hi Calum, I've asked around and there is no local knowledge of a Glasgow Canal in or near Stockton-on-Tees. Also no mention of Cattle Egret in Temperleys Birds of Durham in that century. If you do make a connection of a Cattle Egret at that time in our area could you please let me know, regards, Keith.

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your reply.

I suspect that this bird was then indeed shot somewhere in Scotland and that the true location was then lost through the mists of time.

If I get anything on it belonging to your area I will indeed inform you.

Regards

Calum

P.S. The reason I asked was that for the last few years I have been compiling a Rare & Scarce Birds of Lothian, which at the begining sounded like a good idea:eek!:

Hi Keith,

A bit of a screw up on my part the bird was actually a Squacco Heron and NOT a Cattle Egret, everything else stands though!

My apologies.

Calum.

Hahah now you can see why this rare & scarce I started is taking so long:-O:-O

I wouldn't entirely rule out Glasgow Canal as being local to Stockton-on-Tees. Glasgow Street is in Thornaby, Stockton-on-Tees on the Bon Lea Estate. That is right beside the old cut of the River Tees created in 1831. Parts of the old cut may have been called 'canals' and Glasgow Canal may have been a local name in use at the time. Another cut was created in 1810.

I wouldn't entirely rule out Glasgow Canal as being local to Stockton-on-Tees. Glasgow Street is in Thornaby, Stockton-on-Tees on the Bon Lea Estate. That is right beside the old cut of the River Tees created in 1831. Parts of the old cut may have been called 'canals' and Glasgow Canal may have been a local name in use at the time. Another cut was created in 1810.

Hi Ian,

Very interesting thanks.

Calum.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back