• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aerial Battle! (1 Viewer)

Progne Subis

Bird is the word...
Just one of the many avian dramas playing out in my backyard, a crow single-handedly tries to take on a large Red-tailed Hawk. It was quite entertaining watching the action unfold, but I couldn't help fell for that little crow, I'd be squawcking too if I tried to pick a fight with a predator much larger than myself!

Attachments

• crow dive.jpg
    crow dive.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 122
  • incoming.jpg
    incoming.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 104
  • banking.jpg
    banking.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 133
  • fly away.jpg
    fly away.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 107
I saw almost the exact same thing but with a Red Shouldered Hawk. The crow chased the hawk which dropped low to the ground, just over the heads of the horses in the pasture and landed on the dead tree by the pond. The crow took the high road and ended up in the pecan tree. I think the Red shouldered likes horses. Today he let me get within feet of him as he was perched on the fence post. He is a juvenile.

Very cool! I've never been that close to a wild raptor before, besides, I don't even have a Red Shouldered on my life list any way. Must have been cool to see.

I see this happen all the time here. The crows, just like other birds do not like preditory birds flying anywhere near it's turf. They even take after the ravens. I've seen crows do this to Bald Eagles and hawks quite a bit. They are a smaller, more agile bird that can swoop and turn on a dime. They seem to know that the larger hawks and eagles are not as quick as they are. Kind of like a fighter jet and a B-52. So the crows can put the run on the larger birds. On the other hand I have seen Coopers or Sharp Shinned hawks play tag with the crows. They are more the same agility as the crows and give them a run for their money.

Saw a similar event in my back yard today - nothing as grand as a red tailed hawk but did watch a crow harassing a sparrowhawk for about 5 minutes. In this instance the crow was the bigger bully, the hawk got bored and buggered off!

I can see most birders have witnessed this event before. Athtough seeing the crows take on a large Buteo is interesting to watch, I think the squabbles they have against the smaller Accipiter hawks are more exciting! The Accipiters can really out maneuver those Corvids, even to the point of where a Sharpie could fly right into the back of a crow, talons outstreached and really give it a scare! This has also unfolded in my backyard.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment Slaty.

Neil,
Fabulous shots! Our local Buzzards had to run the gauntlet of our nesting crows all summer. All the Buzzards wanted to do was get back to feed their chicks, but on at least one occasion the male was grounded and abandoned the food. For a few years we had one crow (christened "Psycho") who used to attack his own reflection in car windscreens to the extent that the screen was splattered in blood - every day!. He also used to drive off the twenty-odd wood pigeons feeding in the field next to his nest. He (I'm assuming all this is due to testosterone..) lasted four years.
Pete

mrpjdavis said:
Neil,
Fabulous shots! Our local Buzzards had to run the gauntlet of our nesting crows all summer. All the Buzzards wanted to do was get back to feed their chicks, but on at least one occasion the male was grounded and abandoned the food. For a few years we had one crow (christened "Psycho") who used to attack his own reflection in car windscreens to the extent that the screen was splattered in blood - every day!. He also used to drive off the twenty-odd wood pigeons feeding in the field next to his nest. He (I'm assuming all this is due to testosterone..) lasted four years.
Pete

We have a window cleaner commercial that features two crows discussing if the window is open. I have never had a window strike by a crow but have had a few by northern cardinals.

Good story Pete. At my house, instead of running into the window, the crows ram the peanut feeder in my backyard and the nuts just fly everywhere! And I've also seen the commercial Buckskin is talking about. It's quite humerous. Also, aren't those African Pied Crows in the add?

mr

Progne Subis said:
Just one of the many avian dramas playing out in my backyard, a crow single-handedly tries to take on a large Red-tailed Hawk. It was quite entertaining watching the action unfold, but I couldn't help fell for that little crow, I'd be squawcking too if I tried to pick a fight with a predator much larger than myself!
nice shot of the red tail,have seen kestral v crow and that was good but that red tail looks the biz :t:

adw73uk said:
Great Pics - what kit do you use?

For those pics I used a Canon EOS300D with an old Canon 75-300mm f4.0-5.6 lens (not imaged stabilised - the Canon 'budget' zoom lens). In the past couple of months I've changed over to a Canon EOS20D and 100-400mmIS lens, and am very pleased with the results with that kit.

Neil

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back