• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Tripod For An Es80? (1 Viewer)

mark.r

Have just bought an Opticron ES80, but am confused as to whcih tripods are best for the weight of the scope. I would prefer to buy second hand.

Perhaps those with ES80`s could tell me which one they use?

Many thanks
Mark.r

I also have the ES80ED and have a Manfrotto tripod and head, but not a carbon fibre one. Very good build, good quality. I have never needed to use it in windy conditions so can't comment on that.

I wish now though that I had got a lighter tripod, but maybe heavier would be better for windier conditions, although it does have a hook on the tripod to hang a bag on to weigh it down should that be necessary.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. Guizotia, do you know which model Manfrotto you have? I was thinking of the 190 until someone told me its` not the best for the weight of the es80.
So back to the drawing board!

Mark.r

Thanks for the replies. Guizotia, do you know which model Manfrotto you have? I was thinking of the 190 until someone told me its` not the best for the weight of the es80.

Mark.r

You'd better take 055. Haevier, higher (it really makes difference, you will not be forced to use the central column), more stable while not so much more expensive.

I have the same as Marshall 78 - came in a good value package at the time from Warehouse Express. If money is no object then I would go for the Manfrotto plus a quality fluid head (though this can be as much down to personal preference). Otherwise, the Opticron tripod is a good budget kit.

Thank you for those who have replied with their advice. I have carried out more research on the tripod than when I was searching for a scope! Anyway, my endeavour is coming to an end, with me purchasing a Gitzo 2220 and a 1375m head.

Fingers crossed!

Mark.r

Mark.r

Sorry bit late in replying:

MN701RC2 190XV View Tripod Kit

Thank you for those who have replied with their advice. I have carried out more research on the tripod than when I was searching for a scope! Anyway, my endeavour is coming to an end, with me purchasing a Gitzo 2220 and a 1375m head.

Fingers crossed!

Mark.r

What does that mean about it not being the best for the weight?

What disadvantage do I suffer from not having a heavier tripod?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back