• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I wanted to love the EL 8x32 SV (1 Viewer)

Six Point Five

I wanted to love the Svarovision EL 8x32, i really did. I anxiously expected their release on the market and was one of the first to purchase them when they were available. I took them for walks in the park and hikes in the mountains and was patient and i tried for two years. I compared back and forth for two years between the SV 8x32 and older Zeiss FL 8x32 and EL 8x32.
I could not love the SV EL.
Yes, they are a tiny bit brighter and the colors are a bit more vivid than in the 8x32 EL predecessor. Merely, the SV achieved what my Zeiss FL 8x32 was already doing without fuss. The SV actually seems too bright at times, on sunny days. Also, the SV 8x32 shows me much too often a bit of glare in the bottom 1/3 of the field of view. My FL and EL veterans never do that.
The SV is slightly slimmer and lighter than the EL brethren. It also is a bit easier to grip, due to improved rubber. So what? I actually like the fatter heavier 8x32 EL better, because of added comfort in the hand and stability of view.
The SV has the same abysmal accessories as the EL. Plasticky ocular cups, objective cups that won't stay put, etc. This is not a glass that i could take kayaking or crawling and protect at the same time.
The focus wheel takes twice the effort to turn counterclockwise as it does to turn clockwise. It is not smoother that the old EL 8x32 and not even in the same league with the Zeiss FL 8x32. I told myself that i would get used to it. I never did.
The Swarovision effect does nothing for me. I don't see any advantage at the edge of the field of view, when comparing to my older models. I actually prefer the sedate view through the older EL. Also, scanning the horizon or a wide lake with the SV brings forth an unpleasant distortion at the edge of the field of view. Some sort of bending that i don't care for.
I give up.

Last edited:
Hello,

I too preferred the original ELs to the SVs; the ergonomics were a bit better for my large hands, and the panning distortion was far too bothersome for my eyes, as I have issues with focusing already. I didn't notice the extensive difference when turning the wheel counterclockwise - it was there but nothing I wouldn't live with (some of the Leupold models I own/owned have the same tension). I didn't spend enough time with them in bright conditions to notice the glare, but I've read about it in other reports.

All in all, everyone's eyesight, hands, facial geometry, and brains are different so what they think makes a best binocular will vary. My former ornithology professor swears by the old Trinovid BNs and says they provide him with a better view than newer glass. It's better to just find something that you like and stick with it; comparisons between most of the "top" binoculars (e.g. Conquest HD/Razor HD/Meostar HD level to the alphas) are mostly just nitpicking to my eyes and I'd rather not sit around for years trying to see the differences. That's probably why my old 10x42 Bausch & Lomb Elites still remain one of my most used: they are what I have and they work well with respect to my preferences (usable eye relief with glasses, a fast focus, centerfield sharpness, and durability). NOTE: This isn't to be critical of those people who do enjoy testing/comparing binoculars, but is meant as a hopefully helpful comment for those trying to decide on what binos to purchase.

Best,
Justin

Last edited:
SPF, I like the ergonomics on the old el as well. That said I have adapted to the sv and find it a very comfortable binocular. The image is similar but the sv shows no distortion or glare to me where as the older el its pinchusion was very prominent and obvious in use. I have owned a lot of Swarovski binoculars
there image speeks for themselves. They have steadily improved contrast, color, etc.

I love the view through the sv's.
I had the 10x50 but returned it and settled on the 8x32.

I have looked through all the alpha's and to me personally Swarovski has attained the best balance
of color, contrast and image sharpness.

I haven't had the chance to use Nikon's edg binocular but I have an se and from other users posts it seems they are very close.

The 8x32 sv is the brightest 32mm I have used it betters a lot of 42's on the market for image brightness.

To me the 32 are a compromise while they do a lot really well they fade where the larger brethren exceed.

As far as focus? I have been blessed with superior focussers on all my Swarovski's. Andy winwinbino can vouch for that I traded one of my El's to him. Smooth both ways very nice my sv is the same just a hair heavier on tension.

Don't care for the occular covers either.
I use the silent rubber ones that I used on the slc's.
The objective covers actually work with mine, stay put where as the older model never would!

I use wb el objective covers for my se, work great.

To bad your first post was bashing a fine optic but, that's why we have choices.

Bryce...

<<<To bad your first post was bashing a fine optic but, that's why we have choices.>>>

I didn't take it as bashing, just stating his opinion. I respect that.

John F
a very happy 10x32 EL SV owner

I wanted to love the Svarovision EL 8x32, i really did. I anxiously expected their release on the market and was one of the first to purchase them when they were available. I took them for walks in the park and hikes in the mountains and was patient and i tried for two years. I compared back and forth for two years between the SV 8x32 and older Zeiss FL 8x32 and EL 8x32.
I could not love the SV EL.
Yes, they are a tiny bit brighter and the colors are a bit more vivid than in the 8x32 EL predecessor. Merely, the SV achieved what my Zeiss FL 8x32 was already doing without fuss. The SV actually seems too bright at times, on sunny days. Also, the SV 8x32 shows me much too often a bit of glare in the bottom 1/3 of the field of view. My FL and EL veterans never do that.
The SV is slightly slimmer and lighter than the EL brethren. It also is a bit easier to grip, due to improved rubber. So what? I actually like the fatter heavier 8x32 EL better, because of added comfort in the hand and stability of view.
The SV has the same abysmal accessories as the EL. Plasticky ocular cups, objective cups that won't stay put, etc. This is not a glass that i could take kayaking or crawling and protect at the same time.
The focus wheel takes twice the effort to turn counterclockwise as it does to turn clockwise. It is not smoother that the old EL 8x32 and not even in the same league with the Zeiss FL 8x32. I told myself that i would get used to it. I never did.
The Swarovision effect does nothing for me. I don't see any advantage at the edge of the field of view, when comparing to my older models. I actually prefer the sedate view through the older EL. Also, scanning the horizon or a wide lake with the SV brings forth an unpleasant distortion at the edge of the field of view. Some sort of bending that i don't care for.
I give up.

Six Point Five,

Welcome! It took guts to post a dissenting opinion for your first post. It was refreshing to read a different POV after what seemed like an endless lovefest about this bin (with many replies by the same few posters) to the point where`I finally tuned out of the "discussion," because there was nothing of substance. The balance you brought here was much needed on that other thread.

The issues you complained about - the harder to turn in one direction focuser, the cheap accessories, the angular magnification distortion, and the slim (for some, too slim) ergonomics have been mentioned by others, but have been lost in the haze of the trance-like ecstasy.

Although the 8x32 SV EL is well liked, it's not "the best" for everybody, and anyone who is thinking about buying one should get perspectives from both sides of the fence.

I haven't handled the SV EL, but I recently tried the Nikon 8x30 M7, which has slim barrels compared to the fat barreled original 8x32 EL, which I also tried, and I liked the ergos on the 8x32 EL WB better. I put Bushwackers covers on the M7 to give the ends of the barrels a bit more girth. If I bought an M7, which I very much liked otherwise, I'd try to find rubber piping I could fit over both barrels to fatten it up. That would add a bit of weight, but @ only 15 oz., the M7 could take a few ounces without tipping the scales.

The original 8x32 EL WB is the best handling roof I've tried. It was as if it were custom designed for my large hands, however, I can understand how a smaller closed bridge roof such as the 8x32 FL or 8x32 UV or the "open hinge" M7 could be handier for the smaller handed or for those seeking quality optics in a lightweight, compact package.

After two years of trying to love the SV EL, to call your post "bashing" is a misnomer. The same thing happened to me with another bin. After buying a second sample (the first had a loose focuser), I gave my 8x32 LX a three-year trial run, but the ergonomics never felt right, the focuser was too fast, and the CA was too much in the winter, so I finally gave up, too.

Except for some astigmatism in the top of the view, the image was really nice, the best roof I've tried for the price, which is why I stuck it out as long as I did. At the time, there was a dearth of other options in the second tier segment, but now there are several VG to excellent alternatives, and if Nikon doesn't update this model soon, I think the company is going to loose money on the Premier/HGLs, because Zeiss, Meopta, Kowa, Vortex and others, including Nikon itself with the M7s, offer competitive or even better models.

Don't be discouraged by expressing your opinions even if they clash with the crowd's. As you'll find from reading the forums, some Swaro owners can be quite zealous in protecting and promoting their brand, particularly the EL model, which has an almost cult-like following.

The SLC-HD and the newer version, without the "HD" label, are excellent alternatives to the EL, but they don't get as much "buzz" here as they do on hunting optics forums.

Thanks for your post.

Six Foot Four

Last edited:
Hello 6.5,

It is always good to read a dissenting opinion, which is thoughtful. There are some on this forum who may complain about negativity but it is a fact of life that not every top rated binocular suits every bird watcher. Your complaint of edge distortions and other short comings should be acknowledged as affecting many possible buyers. Clearly, you gave the binocular more than a fair chance to work for you.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Hi 6.5,

Maybe adding another 8x32 to an Fl and El was`nt the ideal purchase anyway, (I know I`v an 8x30 and 8x32 currently but would`nt want a third), perhaps a 42/50mm model would have been a better way to go.

While the EL SV 8x32 is by far my favorite, it would never occur to me to assume it would be wonderful for everyone. Nobody would think there's a set "best" car, "best" beer, etc. and that you're stubborn or just downright wrong if you don't agree. Why is that so with binos?

To bad your first post was bashing a fine optic but, that's why we have choices.

Bryce...

Rather than bashing, I took the post as saying 'the emperor has no clothes" when put in context with some of the gushing reviews of the 8X32 EL SV. Although the SV is a great binocular it does have some weak points and it is good to discuss them so a potential buyer can make an informed decision.

.......... Nobody would think there's a set "best" car, "best" beer, etc...........

You must have a certain somebody on your ignore list!

<<<To bad your first post was bashing a fine optic but, that's why we have choices.>>>

I didn't take it as bashing, just stating his opinion. I respect that.

John F
a very happy 10x32 EL SV owner

I agree John and i should of chose a different word.
That's what happens with getting older.

Foot in mouth disease. : )

Bryce...

Hello 6.5,

It is always good to read a dissenting opinion, which is thoughtful. There are some on this forum who may complain about negativity but it is a fact of life that not every top rated binocular suits every bird watcher. Your complaint of edge distortions and other short comings should be acknowledged as affecting many possible buyers. Clearly, you gave the binocular more than a fair chance to work for you.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Bravo Arthur.

That was initially what I was thinking when I was talking about choices.

Bryce...

A couple more.

The back porch!

Bryce...

Attachments

• IMG_20140418_181635.jpg
    IMG_20140418_181635.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_20140418_181612.jpg
    IMG_20140418_181612.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_20140418_181908.jpg
    IMG_20140418_181908.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 341
Some nice pics there Bryce although some seem to be affected by a strange green cast.....

Nice set-up of the Minox on tripod. Does the lady across the road from you admire your 15x ? :eek!:

Lee

Hi Bryce, Nice pictures. I noticed a set of headphones, is that tied into being able to hear better? I was just wondering, at work we had a devise something like that, but it was for listening for air leaks etc. It worked great for me. I have a hearing loss and ringing in the ears. I have a hard time hearing my wife.;)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back