• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (20 Viewers)

Haven't been to Nosterfield for a few years now, just wondering where Flask lake is?

Any help much appreciated, thanks

I can answer this - was there yesterday.

Flask Lake is not actually at Nosterfield Reserve - it's amongst the Tarmac works a bit further down the road. Instead of turning off the B road down to the reserve, carry straight on (it's not very far) & there is a car park on your right. Park in there then follow the path around the fields by going through the gate in the left hand corner. You need to walk for about 10 minutes & you'll come to a metal gate - go through this & cross the grass track through the stone wall. You're now looking at Flask Lake.

This was were we picked up the Crane yesterday. Keith produced a Google map for me a few posts back which shows the car park I'm referring to.

Richard

Glad you caught up with the crane Richard, if I can I might just have a scoot up Nosterfield way tomorrow, nothing like another year tick.

Thanks for your guidance Keith, the kids were mightily impressed with the sight of the Crane.

Just a word of warning - there is no way back on to the A1 south from the junction where you come off northbound. We had to go miles north until there's a junction you can get back onto the A1 southbound.

Thanks for your guidance Keith, the kids were mightily impressed with the sight of the Crane.

Just a word of warning - there is no way back on to the A1 south from the junction where you come off northbound. We had to go miles north until there's a junction you can get back onto the A1 southbound.

Richard - can't you get back across the A1 to the roads on the East? Only ask as there is a connection via one of the villages East of the A1, saves having to trek North.
Eagle - might see you, can't promise as a relative is in hospital and things might kick off for me.

Easiest way Keith, is to contiue past the reserve to W Tanfield join the A6108 south to Ripon ..... around the ring road and pick up the B6265, past the Racecourse, to A1 sth.

I'm up there tmrw and may call at the reserve etc..... if time allows and will follow this route.

Joe

Common Crane, Nosterfield

I can answer this - was there yesterday.

Flask Lake is not actually at Nosterfield Reserve - it's amongst the Tarmac works a bit further down the road. Instead of turning off the B road down to the reserve, carry straight on (it's not very far) & there is a car park on your right. Park in there then follow the path around the fields by going through the gate in the left hand corner. You need to walk for about 10 minutes & you'll come to a metal gate - go through this & cross the grass track through the stone wall. You're now looking at Flask Lake.

This was were we picked up the Crane yesterday. Keith produced a Google map for me a few posts back which shows the car park I'm referring to.

Richard

The Crane was on the main lake opposite the screen at the Quarry visitor centre yesterday late pm giving excellent views.

http://youtu.be/5YUMwOrsjGM

Decided to head off for Bempton today with the family in tow. Gannets galore - best of today's efforts attached!!

Richard

Attachments

• IMG_8589.jpg
    IMG_8589.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_8629.jpg
    IMG_8629.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_8675.jpg
    IMG_8675.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_8680.jpg
    IMG_8680.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 40
Nosterfield

Crane was back on Flask lake at 10am today along with a GN diver, there were also 3 Pintail (2m/1f) at Marfield wetlands.
Joe

Nearly spun off the A1 before Boston Spa exit when a large female Peregrine flew straight across us........ :eek!:

Last edited:
Had a walk around the Yorkshire Sculpture Park today, lots of birds about. Coal Tit, Nuthatch, Long Tailed Tit.

on the Upper Lake, Tufted duck, a few Goosander, Teal, a pair of Gadwall and best of all a solitary Scaup. Had to look it up on my British Birds app as I hadn't seen one before. On the lower lake a pair of Great Crested Grebe.

Had a walk around the Yorkshire Sculpture Park today, lots of birds about. Coal Tit, Nuthatch, Long Tailed Tit.

on the Upper Lake, Tufted duck, a few Goosander, Teal, a pair of Gadwall and best of all a solitary Scaup. Had to look it up on my British Birds app as I hadn't seen one before. On the lower lake a pair of Great Crested Grebe.

Nice one on the Scaup! They're great birds!

First visit to Tophill Low yesterday with the Craven U3A group. An impressive site with some good birds. Finally made 200 for the UK list with two female Smew :-O

Good views of a Short-eared Owl as we arrived and a nice pait of Lesser Redpoll late in the day. A bit bleak this time of year but will definately be back in the spring.

Graeme

20+ Waxwing mid morning in grounds St Johns, off new Briggate Leeds (churchyard locked). Passable views for ten minutes, before they flew west. Also checked Joseph Well car park, Woodhouse Sq, Park Sq and Mabgate with no luck (but have seen recent close photos from Park Sq). Struck me, not for first time, that much more likely to see Goldfinch nowadays than sparrows. 15+ in Woodhouse Sq, poss. as many in Mabgate, and 10+ in trees off Belgrave St.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back