• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (13 Viewers)

What time you thinking of coming through, let me know and i will post on here 3/4 hour before.

Andy, wouldn't Twitter be the best way of passing up to date information on? I think the twitter idea for Spurn is a great one but it can do so much more than the daily announcement that the days report is up on the website. For those of us without a radio we could get real time updates without having to continually ask for info, it would also be hugely beneficial if birding nearby (Holmpton let's say) but being kept aware of any rarities.

Excellent morning birding in LDV with Barn owl out and about at 8am. Yellow wagtail, blackcap, willow warbler, garden warbler, whitethroat, sedge warbler, reed warbler and just as I'd given up, grasshopper warbler at wheldrake along with my first cuckoo of the year.

Decided to have a look up at hes east since it's had alot of press recently. It was very windy and no sign of the wood sandpiper but there was a greenshank along with a few other waders.

Andy, wouldn't Twitter be the best way of passing up to date information on? I think the twitter idea for Spurn is a great one but it can do so much more than the daily announcement that the days report is up on the website. For those of us without a radio we could get real time updates without having to continually ask for info, it would also be hugely beneficial if birding nearby (Holmpton let's say) but being kept aware of any rarities.

An excellent idea - and exactly the way I hoped they'd be using the twitter account

Most people have access to the internet ( and therefore twitter ) on their mobiles now, somebody could type a quick twitter update and within moments everyone could get the update - then those within the vicinity could get onto the birds that were the subject of the update

Might save people like me having to be a pain all the time :)

Mal Skelton

PS. Is the Garganey still about - heading back to Spurn in about an hour

Just had a Purple Heron fly low West along Livinstone Road, Hessle. It was being mobbed by crows and banked off toward the Humber shore. I'll have a look on the way home from work but theres a lot of reed bed near here.

Marc

Had a look around this morning to no avail. Checked the local ditches and places which could hold a Purp but it's probably a bit busy in a lot of these places. Far Ings could be worth checking if it's continued west.

An excellent idea - and exactly the way I hoped they'd be using the twitter account

Most people have access to the internet ( and therefore twitter ) on their mobiles now, somebody could type a quick twitter update and within moments everyone could get the update - then those within the vicinity could get onto the birds that were the subject of the update

Might save people like me having to be a pain all the time :)

Mal Skelton

PS. Is the Garganey still about - heading back to Spurn in about an hour

Garganey flew north away from Spurn this am

Hello we are in the area on holiday and would like to see Black grouse. can anyone help with good viewing area ? I have read the RSPB advice about viewing.
thanks

Snow?

Couldn't resist watching these two red legs trying to moon walk over the fleece protecting the growing spuds,looks like there on snow! (sorry for the naff pic)

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 96
Hi All,
Just to add to Michaels message last week about the drought conditions. This last winter and spring I have had only a couple of sightings of Song Thrushes and not many more of Mistle Thrushes. However, about a week ago I started watering my lawn in preparation of re-seeding and in the last couple of days I have been visited by four Song and two Mistles all on the lawn at the same time, they have also brought their young of which there is at least three of each. I am now in the middle of a Thrush fest. It never fails to amaze me how quick birds are to seize an opportunity where food is concerned. Obviously the worms are now coming to the surface more due to the damp conditions.

Pics

Hi All,
Just to add to Michaels message last week about the drought conditions. This last winter and spring I have had only a couple of sightings of Song Thrushes and not many more of Mistle Thrushes. However, about a week ago I started watering my lawn in preparation of re-seeding and in the last couple of days I have been visited by four Song and two Mistles all on the lawn at the same time, they have also brought their young of which there is at least three of each. I am now in the middle of a Thrush fest. It never fails to amaze me how quick birds are to seize an opportunity where food is concerned. Obviously the worms are now coming to the surface more due to the damp conditions.

You've been making excellent use of that new lens Dave, re. Yell Wags. Are Thrushes on the lawn too easy then....? ;)
It's a while since I saw a nice Songie, come on mate "get 'em out for t'lads"
Cheers Joe :t:

Gargany's still present on the canal scrape at spurn this afternoon, been chased around frequently by a Coot, dipped on the Ortolan , (hope it stays a few days??) had my first Swift of the year on way home by Fraisthorpe
003edited.jpg

You've been making excellent use of that new lens Dave, re. Yell Wags. Are Thrushes on the lawn too easy then....? ;)
It's a while since I saw a nice Songie, come on mate "get 'em out for t'lads"
Cheers Joe :t:

Just for you Joe, glad to see you've got that computer fixed at last. Sorry but the pics are too big so cropped a couple for you. Off to Tetney tomorrow for the Dotterels and Tawny Pipit.

Attachments

• IMG_1664.JPG
    IMG_1664.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1718.JPG
    IMG_1718.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 38
SPURN WILDLIFE 20 - Spurn Bird Observatory report for 2010 is now available either from the YWT centre or Kew Villa, Kilnsea, HU12 0UB, price £8 + £1.20 p+p

Andy Roadhouse

Just had to share this pic with you. Taken by one of my 'students' two days ago at a private site I'm taking my classes to this term. There are apparently 4 in the area at the moment, not including the hepatic female which was present in 2008 & 2009. Photo (c) 2011 Chris Cox - full sequence of shots on my blog

Attachments

• Cuckoo1.jpg
    Cuckoo1.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 208
twitched the woodchat shrike at filey yesterday, by bus! Next time i will go via york, going by whitby is far too slow(

I had forgotten how nice filey is. Not been there since `82. Might take the tent next time and stay over...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back