• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Head for the hills! (1 Viewer)

trw

Many migration watchers head for the coast at this time of year.
I have spent 12 mornings between 12th August and 13th September tramping around Scout Scar and Helsington Barrows in south Cumbria.
It is a limestone escarpment which catches migrants regularly.

Highlights- 25 Common Redstart
25 Spotted Flycatcher
A maximum count of 150 Meadow Pipit on one morning
3 Whinchat
3 Stonechat
1 Lesser Whitethroat
5 Common Whitethroat
5 Blackcap
3 singing Chiffchaff
Numerous Willow Warbler
6 Northern Wheatear
A flock of 17 Mistle Thrush
A flock of 40 Greenfinch, 40 Chaffinch and many Linnets and Goldfinch

The only surprise:pied Wagtails have been thin on the ground and less Willow Warblers than normal

Last edited:
An interesting strategy, and one which should work for the western side of Britain, at least for getting large numbers of Scottish and Icelandic migrants. It doesn't work over here on the east side, as the source of migrants here is Scandinavia (and further east), which means east winds at a coastal location is by far the best. Inland sites here get very little migration at all, as there is no significant land mass to the north for them to come from.

An interesting strategy, and one which should work for the western side of Britain, at least for getting large numbers of Scottish and Icelandic migrants. It doesn't work over here on the east side, as the source of migrants here is Scandinavia (and further east), which means east winds at a coastal location is by far the best. Inland sites here get very little migration at all, as there is no significant land mass to the north for them to come from.

The only downside is you have to put a lot of legwork in!
I have been covering the same patch for a few years now and learnt the optimum times,weather conditions,and areas for particular species.
So there is a 'Redstart Hill','Wheatear Mound',Spotted Flycatcher Avenue' and Meadow Pipit Summit.
You can almost guarantee which species you will see in any given location providing the weather is right
The area in question has just the right amount of tree and shrub cover to tempt any passing migrants flying overhead.
It also runs in a north south direction so any birds flying south have sufficient area to land on.

Sometimes you don't have any choice - but this may not be a bad thing. I used to live near some mountains outside Bergen and by studying maps I found a suitable spot where birds were funnelled by the terrain under certain conditions.

I found the study of visible migration through the mountains (and comparisons with what was happening at the coast) fascinating. Well worth it.

If you are interested in more then check this link out.

And I am hoping to give something similar a go in Oslo soon.....

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back