• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (3 Viewers)

The only birds I can add are Herring Gull and Bar-headed Goose (we counted that last year as well I believe.)
Nobody found the Garganey today?
Geoff

The only birds I can add are Herring Gull and Bar-headed Goose (we counted that last year as well I believe.)
Nobody found the Garganey today?
Geoff

No wonder you won last year - Bar-headed Goose not admissable as not on the British List. Is Middleton on 90 (proper) species yet?

No wonder you won last year - Bar-headed Goose not admissable as not on the British List. Is Middleton on 90 (proper) species yet?

Hi Phil, your right we didn't count Bar-headed Goose.
I've just heard from John H that he had a Mipit today.
I finished my stint at 2pm so don't know what the latest score is.
Geoff

Autumn All-Dayer

The five participating West Midlands sites (Grimley, Upton Warren, Sandwell Valley, Belvide and Middleton Lakes) managed 117 species between them, 4 between than Spring when Marsh Lane and Venus Pool were also taking part. Missing from all 5 sites were Swift, Common Tern and Redstart.

Many thanks to Mike Ixer, Steve Nuttall, Tom Perrins, John Belsey and Ed Lea for pulling the respective lists / totals together :t:

Attachments

• All-Day Totals Autumn 2014.xlsx
    18.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
The LSW was showing very well in the dead tree yesterday evening and a couple of hobbies hunting was a joy to see.

A couple of grapographs attached

Attachments

• LSW.jpg
    LSW.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 60
  • LSW1.jpg
    LSW1.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Went down again late today to see if the LSW was about. No sign but I did find the whinchat and Stonechat + water rails and 8 curlew sandys

The whinchat was a good way, spotted by me for about a bloody minute - then vanished again :-C

A few record shots of today.

Attachments

• rail.jpg
    rail.jpg
    380.7 KB · Views: 43
  • stone.jpg
    stone.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 42
  • stone1.jpg
    stone1.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 38
  • wheat.jpg
    wheat.jpg
    423.7 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Today the Lesser Spotted Woodpecker was calling loudly from Mill Plantation but only showed briefly. The Garganey was still on FMP. Waders seen included 1 Ringed Plover, 6 Snipe, 1 Green Sandpiper, 1 Dunlin, 4 Ruff and 6 Curlew Sandpiper, I didn't check the north pit. Other species noted were 4 Little Egret, Water Rail, Hobby, 3 Cetti's Warbler and a Grey Wagtail. 2 Whinchat were reported.
Geoff

Today the Lesser Spotted Woodpecker was calling loudly from Mill Plantation but only showed briefly. The Garganey was still on FMP. Waders seen included 1 Ringed Plover, 6 Snipe, 1 Green Sandpiper, 1 Dunlin, 4 Ruff and 6 Curlew Sandpiper, I didn't check the north pit. Other species noted were 4 Little Egret, Water Rail, Hobby, 3 Cetti's Warbler and a Grey Wagtail. 2 Whinchat were reported.
Geoff

3 Little Stints reported on Jubilee Wetlands

A juvenile Marsh Harrier flew through this morning and 2 Hobby were hunting dragonflies. Waders included 4 Ringed Plover, 3 Snipe, 1 Greenshank, 1 Green Sandpiper, 4 Little Stint, 6 Curlew Sandpiper, 2 Dunlin and 7 Ruff. Also seen were 1 Willow Tit, 1 Coal Tit, 1 Stonechat and 2 Wheatear, 3 Whinchat were reported.
Geoff

Only 1 Curlew Sandpiper was seen this morning but the 4 Little Stint were still here, also seen were 2 Ringed Plover, 2 Green Sandpiper, 1 Dunlin, 8 Ruff, 1 Hobby, 1 Stonechat, 1 Wheatear and 5 Meadow Pipit.
Geoff

Another quick run down very late yesterday.

Firecrest by fishers mill bridge. 99% certain it is one but only saw it for a few mins, so no photo's will pop down tonight to see if I can get one, JUST to be 100% sure. Not ticked yet ;)
Wheater showing very well, but light went quickly and on my way back picked up this guy sitting on the screens.

A couple of record shots.

Attachments

• wheat.jpg
    wheat.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 52
  • bird.jpg
    bird.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 63
This afternoon wader numbers had dropped but there were now 5 Little Stint. Also seen were 3 Shelduck, 1 Pintail on JWs, 2 Ringed Plover, 1 Snipe and 5 Ruff.
Geoff

Very quiet this morning down the reserve. The highlights being 3 Water Rail at the feeder pool (photo’s below) and a Juvenile Peregrine chasing the ducks around Jubilee Wetland before being despatched by a Raven. The Raven was doing a good policing role chasing a Sparrowhawk off later. The only waders of note were 7 Snipe. 2 Stonechat present and several Chiffchaff and singing Cetti’s were the only warblers I encountered.

Attachments

• Water1.jpg
    Water1.jpg
    404.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Water2.jpg
    Water2.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 48

Users who are viewing this thread

Back