• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to best fix a too loose hinge? (1 Viewer)

vop

I have a pair of Swift Audubon 828, which are great except for the too easily movable hinge.

I've seen a pair that had matches glued to the gap. I don't know if that's a standard solution, but it won't work for me since I want to be able adjust the fit when lending it.

I also don't want to do any complicated "surgery", risking to damage the mechanism and voiding the warranty.

Any suggestions?

Thanks beforehand

Oskar

Oskar,
Your Swift 828 has standard Tripod Adaptor capability built into it I believe. If it is at the front end of the hinge as in the illustration below, you might be able to use this Vortex Binoc-loc on it to keep your IPD constant. Just remove the blind cap and replace it with this lock. I have one and it works nicely on my 9 x 36 Vortex. You will always be able to expand your IPD with this device. If you lend your binocular to someone with a narrower IPD than you have, the lock will have to be reset to accommodate his or her IPD.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binocular-accessories/vortex/vortex-binoc-loc-for-roof-prism-binoculars

Cordially,

Bob

Last edited:
Go to a plumbing supply place and buy a sink repair washer. These are typically in the guise of various sizes of O-rings. Get one just big enough to fit over the threaded end of the tripod adapter cover, fit it over the threads and screw the adapter cover back in. The tension against the O-ring, between the hinge and the tripod adapter cover will take up whatever slop there is in the hinge. I used this on my 7x36 Eaglet before I finally sent it in for an examination.

Thank you very much. Looks like both ways will work; so I guess I'll try the easier and cheaper way first, and see how it works. If not the Vortex Binoc-loc seems to be the solution.

I custom made a washer from a piece of rubber, put it on the tripod adapter cover screw (by the way, what a weird place to put the serial number!) and tightened it as much as I dared (using a coin, not a screwdriver because it ruins the slot).

Works fine. Now it is movable but with a desirable resistance. Great! :)

I probably have to tighten the screw a little now and then...

Thanks again

A even happier Oskar

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back