• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Optics salesman? (1 Viewer)

Hi Matt

As the RSPB Area Manager responsible for Titchwell, I was disappointed to read your posting regarding your experience at the reserve. The vast majority of the feedback we receive from our customers is very positive and the staff and volunteers who work in optics sales on the reserve are all well trained and knowledgeable about optics. I find it very difficult to believe that you were treated poorly as we pride ourselves on our customer care at Titchwell, however if you want to PM me with more details of your complaint I will look into it and get back to you.

All the best

Rob

Just thought I'd throw out a question or two regarding your experiances with optics salesman, I'm curious how other folks fare when trying out different binoculars and scopes before making a decision before handing over the cash?

I recently had the opportunity to try out a pair of viking ED 8x42 and 10x42 ED binoculars at a certain RSPB that will remain nameless (Titchwell RSPB)reserve only to have a most bizare response after telling the woman I prefered not to use the eyecups retracted even though I don't wear glasses!!!! I was also told these models were made using the same technology as Swarovski's EL range (Bull?)..

Other times I've experianced sloppy attitude and arrogance (ie being looked at as if a tramp with unwashed hands) when leaving the shop having not made a purchase after comparing different models!!

Anyone else experienced similar?

Matt

I like the clueless salesmen. As long as they do not prevent me looking at all the models, I am OK with them. ;)

[The shop at Timber Hill in Norwich (Viking Optical) is also very well stocked and run by a very knowledgable and amiable chap so they're not all bad!

M[/QUOTE]

Another big tick for Viking Optical. They encourage you to try different optics, no pressure, and have a good range in stock. Pity their prices are on the high side.

Hi Matt

As the RSPB Area Manager responsible for Titchwell, I was disappointed to read your posting regarding your experience at the reserve. The vast majority of the feedback we receive from our customers is very positive and the staff and volunteers who work in optics sales on the reserve are all well trained and knowledgeable about optics. I find it very difficult to believe that you were treated poorly as we pride ourselves on our customer care at Titchwell, however if you want to PM me with more details of your complaint I will look into it and get back to you.

All the best

Rob

Hello Rob

And thank you for your reply, I consider myself a fairly easy going type of person and not given to whinge or complain with no good reason...however I don't take kindly to even the suggestion of being told how I should or should not use binoculars to my own preference.....or being met with a long indifferent stare while trying to explain my own reasoning!!

Eitherway it's all water under the bridge now and I have no desire to take this any further, ultimately it's the product that sells and makes the point of how important it is to try the product for yourself and trust YOUR own eyes!!

Peace and good will to all!!

Matt

Hello Rob

And thank you for your reply, I consider myself a fairly easy going type of person and not given to whinge or complain with no good reason...however I don't take kindly to even the suggestion of being told how I should or should not use binoculars to my own preference.....or being met with a long indifferent stare while trying to explain my own reasoning!!

Eitherway it's all water under the bridge now and I have no desire to take this any further, ultimately it's the product that sells and makes the point of how important it is to try the product for yourself and trust YOUR own eyes!!

Peace and good will to all!!

Matt

Matt is spot on. What it has done is get people talking about there experiences of optics shops whether they be good or bad! Thats got to be good has'nt it!

During my school years in Texas, ambiguous "foreign" words tended to be pronounced using long vowels. Only after living outside the USA did I learn most of world's major languages operate under the assumption of short vowel pronunciation.

FWIW, the Japanese say "knee-kon".

happy holidays,
Rick

the bit in bold is absolutely 100% correct.
it always makes me roll round the floor in hysterics when you get some one who looks down on others because they don't pronounce nikon as nyekon but rather nickon.

as for optics salesmen as long as they don't mind me looking through 30 different pairs over a period of 3 or 4 hours then deciding to think about it for a while before i come back in a few weeks then try the 3 sorts i've got the short list down to then i'm all for em.

Last edited:
Hi.

I have always found the staff at Titchwell very helpful when looking at various optics, friendly and polite and not pushy.

Cley Spy has also been very friendly and helpful but very expensive compared to other outlets.

I have just brought some Hawke Frontier ED 8x43 from AR Hawkins in Northampton via mail order. Received excellent service and got the optic's over £50 cheaper that Cley Spey, and it would have been more if i had traded in my old optics.

It pays to try different outlets, different optics and do not let 'sales people' push you into buying something you don't want. After you you are the one using the optics every time not them.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back