• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sub £200 decent 8X binos? (1 Viewer)

stevetb

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend some decent 8x (32 or 42mm) binoculars for under £200? I don't mind looking at secondhand stuff.
I would like the bins to be waterproof with a wide field of view though.
I haven't got a problem with porro prisms, provided the bins aren't massive, and have been looking at the Opticron HR series with some interest - does anyone know how they compare to roof prism bins of similar price?
Another model that looks interesting is the In-focus Delta SL - it seems to be a lot like the minox bl, but for a cheaper price.

Cheers,
Steve.

Hi Steve,

I have a pair of the Opticron HR 8x42 and can tell you that they are in fact optically superb and I also personally find them to be comfortable in use. I readily concede though, that they are not the most attractive piece of birding jewellery to wear around your neck and they wouldn't be everyone's choice. I strongly recommend that you try before you buy.

My previous two pairs of bins were Nikon 8x32 SE's and 8x32 HG's - both excellent binoculars and I have only favourable overall comparison to make with the Opticron's which I believe to be a true bargain at well under £200. I also found Opticron service to be excellent when my Wife's bins had to be serviced last year.

I have to say that I am a fan of porro prism binoculars and just love that sense of 3D that they give with subjects seeming to stand out from their surroundings in their own space.

Please note however, that the Opticron HR's may fail on perhaps a critical aspect for you and that is that they have a fairly narrow field of view. What you do see though, is so good that most people don't notice the narrow FOV until it is pointed out to them.

I doubt that you will find better value for your money.

Best of luck,
Steve

Hi Steve,

if I were you I would check out

Vortex Raptor 8.5x32 or 6.5x32
Leupold Yosemite 8x30
the two above are much the same design of bins by different makers, both light, good optics and excellent value
Bushnell Legend 8x42 porro, very nice but heavy
Nikon Action EX 8x40 & 7x35 again both heavy but good

All are porros which I think at this price point will give you best value i.e. a better view for your money than roofs

The Opticron HR I agree are superb optically but the narrow field of view put me off otherwise I would own a pair.

I'll post again if anymore spring to mind.

Good luck
Martin

I've found the Bushnell Excursion 8x42's to be very good but haven't compared them to others so 'how' good or bad I really couldn't say.

Thanks very much for your views.

The Vortex and Leupold models sound interesting Martin, although they appear to have a similar field of view to the Opticrons?

The Nikon Monarchs look like a good deal, thanks for that Peter.

You could take a look at the latest version of the Opticron Discovery 8x42. My other half has the original version and she loves them. They have recently been updated with closer focus (1.5m), wider field of view (131m) and are meant to be a bit sharper. Available for £120 they could be worth a look.

Ron

Thanks very much for your views.

The Vortex and Leupold models sound interesting Martin, although they appear to have a similar field of view to the Opticrons?

The Nikon Monarchs look like a good deal, thanks for that Peter.

I think the Vortex Raptor 8.5x are 7.4 degrees and the 6.5x are 7.8 degrees. Opticron HR 8x42s 6.4 degrees I believe.

My Dad recently bought a pair of 8.5x Raptors and is very impressed with them.
The focus does stiffen up in the cold though. A common issue with porros so beware if you will be using them a lot in the sort of weather we are having at the moment. If you do, it may be wise to go for roofs.

A second hand ZR 7x36 ED2 would be the best choice, imo (If you can consider a 7x magnification bin). Otherwise a 8x43 ED2 ;)

There may be something of interest on the RSPB's optics clearance site here

The waterproof porros are fine performers and the 8x32 FGPC looks interesting too.
I know you said 8x but the 7x HG's are great but a bit heavy.

Nev

An update....

Thanks again for the views. I have to say that whilst the opticron look great, the Vortex bins seem excellent value for under £100 new on ebay, so I'm going to try and find some more views on them.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back