• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

visible migration watching (1 Viewer)

Mark D

BOG member
Howdo folks

if you live in or near the Bradford (West Yorkshire) area and are interested in the migrants which are passing through follow this link to look at the vis-mig news reported by Bradford Ornithological Group. We have a dedicated few who are out there every weekend during the autumn counting the species that pass over.

http://vismig.blogspot.com/

regards
Mark
BOG recorder

Decent Blog Mark

The Sheffield Bird Study Group just to the south also has a committed (I think they should be!) band of vis miggers.

It is something I'm just starting to take an interest in - have a good spot 10 mins from where I live.

I'd recommend it to anyone - I'd entered something of a comfort zone with my birding and this is providing a really good new challenge. I went out with Keith Clarkson (a vis mig guru to Sheffield Birders!) last week and he was indentifying flocks that were specks a mile away! What is more, when challenged, he came up with plausible reasons!!

Matthew

yes good topic. Though "dots in the distance" are never going to be my strong point (!), i do know of a couple of interesting spots that throw up not-so-distant steady movements between Yarmouth & Lowestoft on the east coast . fascinating to watch

Good movement on Saturday - 6,200 birds over in a couple of hours after dawn - heading south west.

Nearly 3,000 woodpigeon, over 1,000 starling and 1,200 brambling. Best birds were a rock pipit and a hawfinch. Supporting cast of 300 greenfinch, sev hundred chaffinch plus siskin, lesser redpoll, bullfinch, goldfinch, meadow pipit etc etc all on the move.

Matthew

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back