• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax K100D with Pentax PF80ED-A (1 Viewer)

Twite

Hi.

I Need some advice, can anybody Pleas help? I own a Pentax Scope PF80ED-A and am very happy with it, now I would like to try digiscoping for the 1st. time, I am considering the Pentax K100D seems like a lot of camera for the money. My questions probably apply to a lot camera scope setups. Can I use the camera with the scope, using only the scope zoom via an adapter? If yes, what is the adapter called, what is the part No.? Or do I have to use a camera lens via an adapter? Is this the same adapter? If not what is it called, what is the part No.?
If I must use a camera lens with the scope, what size lens should I use?

Thanks in advance. Twite.

Have a look at this thread (link below) and look at the posts made by the user name - Sout Fork. He uses the Pentax CA-35 (see 2nd link) adapter which is an extension tube to Pentax K-mount to allow direct coupling of the camera to the scope. The extension tube contains some high quality optics and would convert the 80mm Pentax scope to 1530mm lens on the K100D. Maybe send Sout Fork a message for some advice.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=83798

http://www.pentax.co.jp/english/products/sougan/scope/pf-ca35/spec.html

Paul.

Hi Paul.

Thanks for the info, it's been a great help. I now understand with the help of the Pentax link, how the scope and camera are coupled. The only drawback I can see with this is the fixed focal length, but I suppose that's where cropping comes in. I was initially hoping I could use my 20-60X zoom with some type of adapter but I will probably decide to go with this setup as shown in your links.

Thanks again.

Twite.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back