• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID needed- vireo? (1 Viewer)

janine13

Taken 12 dec 03 at Johnathan Dickinson State Park, Florida. A friend of mine ID'd this as a Black Capped Vireo (Vireo atricapillus) but I would like a 2nd opinion after reading up on it in the field guide. Sorry for the poor photo quality.

Attachments

• unknown1.jpg
    unknown1.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 236
I'd say Blue-headed Vireo (V. solitarius; previously called Solitary Vireo) - the wingbars are too prominent for Black-capped, and the crown also too pale. Blue-headed is also a regular winter visitor in Florida, Black-capped isn't.

Don't know what that stuff it has in its beak is though!

Michael

Janine,
Looks like you already got your ID. I love JD State Park and used to spend lots of time there (OK it's been awhile, like late 60's). Great place to birdwatch.

I was home several months ago and we found lots of Florida Scrub Jays right on Hwy 1 between Jupiter and Juno Beach. Keep your eyes open for them!

Just a quick question:

I realise Janine's Vireo picture was taken way out of the range for Cassin's Vireo (and I am not suggesting that it is of this species), but how would you seperate this from Blue-headed Vireo?

Tim Allwood said:
Cassin's doesn't have such a blu-grey head and it should have a more slender bill too
Do you have a source that says Cassin's has a more slender bill than Blue-gray? I've never heard of that distinction. Thanks in advance.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back