• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who is this little bird? (1 Viewer)

LzyPhotographer

I saw this little bird and took some pics to see if I could identify it. Of course, I couldn't... dunno what I was thinking, but it sounded like a good idea at the time. ;-)

My first thought was Goldfinch... but the beak looks too long & skinny. Does a beak change as the bird grows? Any ideas? I'd appreciate some education here.

Thanks!

Attachments

• who_1.jpg
    who_1.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 282
  • who_2.jpg
    who_2.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 258
  • who_3.jpg
    who_3.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 226
  • who_4.jpg
    who_4.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 254
No, not Orange-crowned, I don't think, no streaking under or hint of wingbars. I'd guess C. Yellowthroat, a terribly non-descript little greenish-yellow unmarked bird in your area. I agree that the bill is amazingly attenuated.

Could it be something like a 1st w female Mourning Wabler.... that might account for the bill..?

In the 3rd pic the head looks like a Tenessee Warbler.. but no wing bars...... do they ever wear off?

This is a challenge!

No, not Tennessee-- the eyeline is always distinct on them, I recall. I like Mourning, though-- that would explain the bluish wash on the outer primaries in the 2nd photo.

I live in fear of finding something like this.. getting 10 minutes on it.. enough to know it a first for the UK... then not clinching it :)

not convinced on this but i'd say orange-crowned most likely as originally suggested - undertail coverts look right for orange crowned too long tail extension for mourning not 'forked' enough tail for macgillivrays also extension looks too long. The question over the bill? The sordida Orange-Crowned found on the SoCal Islands has a longer bill than other orange crowns.

that said it is almost nothing like the orange crowned hee in the east. The orange crowned is the most common bird if you took it locally - mourning very unlikely - macgillivrays a possibility. a date and location for where you took it would help.

I agree for ID of orange-crowned warbler. ;)

Its long sharply pointed bill places this bird in Vermivora genus, with such plumage colors/pattern (black eyestripe & incomlpete white eyering, Tennessee is possible but ruled out by prominent yellow undertail coverts. None of US Oporornis warblers has such obvious black eyestripe, esp post-ocular area.

Western orange-crown tend to be richer in yellow than their eastern ones. And lack of streaking on underparts (esp flank and undertail coverts) of this bird, I would think it's of lutescens race, rather than sordida race.

Wow! Thanks everyone. It's so nice how you all share your information and thoughts. I'm learning a lot, and may have to start keeping a list.

I did check the local Audubon site about the Orange-crowned warbler. They said: "Orange-crowned Warbler: Uncommon to fairly common (increasing?) in riparian, oak, and coniferous woodland (subspecies lutescens). In chaparral and sage scrub, especially in canyons, on Point Loma, at San Elijo and Batiquitos Lagoons, and probably elsewhere along the coast (subspecies sordida). Forages and sings in middle to upper levels of trees but nests usually placed on or near the ground under dense cover. Eggs 26 April - 14 June; watch for fledglings May - July"

The last few sentences are beautiful words for a photographer. ;-) For the record, I was no where near Point Loma, but I was just a short distance away from the Torrey Pines Reserve and Batiquitos Lagoons.

Looks like Orange-crowned to me, is it missing some face feathers? (That would make it look longer billed too)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back