• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is this? (1 Viewer)

lassa8

United States
I saw this bird in the Climatron at the Missouri Botanical Gardens, and even though I don't get to count it, I was still curious as to what species it is. I assume it's tropical, based on the foliage in the Climatron.

Attachments

• bird.jpg
    bird.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 240
Yes, it does look like a tanager. Maybe a Hepatic Tanager. But then again something looks strange about that beak. More like a Brazilian.

Last edited:
More like Summer Tanager than Hepatic, but not quite right for either, and presumably an introduced exotic anyway, inside a greenhouse.
Could argue the label tells you what it is, it's a Cacao (Theobroma cacao) . . . :king:

Michael

Strangely enough, when I was sipping some hot chocolate some days ago, I found a little feather in it...

I do not dare to think why...cheers B :)

Looks like a female silver-beaked tanager to me. I see them alot so I am familiar with them. The beak isn't right for a hepatic tanager.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back