• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

best seed to feed your birds (1 Viewer)

warhawknm

I did have oiled sunflower, woodpecker suet, and thistle out before the grackles, starlings, and squirrals came about and destroyed the food supply. I since been using only safflower seed. The birds like it. But it's probably not going to WOW the birds. What kind of seed doyou all use and from experience works?

I'd love to attract some indigo buntings and bluebirds but I never see those. Is it worth trying to put out seed to birds that you haven't seen in the area? I live in a populated town for what its worth. Not the best nature attraction.

Thx,
Nate

Hi Nate,

I've had great luck with the Lyric bird seeds. We used to put out the woodpecker blend, but have found that the chickadee blend attracts the same varieties and is somewhat cheaper per bag. I don't know where you might find it near you, but you can check their website for distributors. They're located in Lebanon, PA, so maybe close to you? With this out, we regularly attract woodpeckers (downy, hairy, and an occasional red-headed), titmice, bluebirds, cardinals, gold finches, house finches, Carolina wrens, chickadees, mourning doves, pine warblers, nuthatches, and more. The types of birds you attract can be as much a function of what types of feeders you have out as the type of seed, so you may want to try hanging several different kinds, if you haven't already.

We don't have a problem with grackles or starlings, so I don't have any suggestions there, but the squirrels can easily be beat with a stovepipe-style baffle.

Hope this helps,

--dave

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back