• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is this? (2 Viewers)

LMG

Seen in my friend's garden this afternoon. It was fairly tame, so was it an escape? It had a lovely song, linnet-like but not the same, very different from a greenfinch. It had a white forked tail, pink legs and a greyish back streaked with black. Here are two pictures of it. We are all very intriged to know what it is. Can anyone help?

Attachments

• m4.jpg
    m4.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 291
I think it is a Canary too Look at the forked tail & head markings.

Don't think it is a drift migrant though.

My friend had something similar in his garden once.
er we never identified it though.

CJ

Last edited:
Hi Colin,
You can relax,it's not a Serin!;-)Serins are altogether "dumpier",with a stubby bill,yellower face/breast,more obvious wingbars etc.Canaries are in the same genus(Serinus)as Serin,so there's bound to be some resemblance.
Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back