• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kos, Greece in October (1 Viewer)

Winterdune

Has anyone been to Kos in late October. What am I likely to see? I presume I'll be too late for most migrants...

Thanks,
Sean

Hi, Sean,

A warm welcome to you from all of us on staff here at BirdForum!

I'm afraid I can't help with your question but I'm sure others will be along who can.

Hope you will post a trip report when you get back?

Certainly!

I'll certainly post details of what I see - though my 3 year old son does tend to get in the way of attempting a major cleaun up!

Sean

I was there end of last month for what it's worth. No idea what's there now, but there were little stints, curlew sandpipers, one or two dunlin, greenshank, redshank, little egret, ringed plover, grey heron, kingfishers and a flamingo around tagaki lagoon when I took a quick look. Might be a good place to find something more exotic. More generally, the place was absolutely swarming with red-backed shrike, crested larks and bee-eaters, with a couple of lesser grey-backed shrike, rollers, chukar partridge and fan-tailed warblers thrown in (I hope my English translations are OK). Also Eleanora's falcon, and a lone juvenile Montague's harrier, which was a little unexpected. Not a very long or exciting list, but I didn't have much time to peer at birds - I was rather struck by the total absence of anything pelagic other than a few yellow legged gulls, even on a boat trip to the island next-door. I thought there'd be at least a few shearwaters knocking around. On well, just my 2 centimes worth ...

I was in Kos a couple of years ago (in August though-not very helpful I know). Carless I still managed to see several Eleonoras Falcon and lots of Corys Shearwater on a boat trip to Bodrum. I'd imagine there'd still be a few migrants around in October. I remember lots of Wheatears everywhere. If you're a better birder than me you might be able to find a few Isabellines amongst the immmature Northerns.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back