• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wilstone by public transport (1 Viewer)

simmojunior

I am thinking of going to Wilstone Reservoir from London tomorrow, as I have never seen a Pectoral Sandpiper, but I cannot find a logical way to get there by public transport. Does anyone know how I could do it, considering I do not drive?

Thanks in advance,

Oliver

I am thinking of going to Wilstone Reservoir from London tomorrow, as I have never seen a Pectoral Sandpiper, but I cannot find a logical way to get there by public transport. Does anyone know how I could do it, considering I do not drive?

Thanks in advance,

Oliver

Hi Oliver
I've just got back from seeing the bird. You'll need a scope or hope that someone else there has one you can look through (which is likely). I have no idea how you'd get there by public transport, unfortunately. Is there a mainline station you could get to (Aylesbury? Wendover?) and then get a taxi perhaps? Hopefully someone more local will be in soon to help you out.
Good luck
Hobbes

Hi Oliver
I've just got back from seeing the bird. You'll need a scope or hope that someone else there has one you can look through (which is likely). I have no idea how you'd get there by public transport, unfortunately. Is there a mainline station you could get to (Aylesbury? Wendover?) and then get a taxi perhaps? Hopefully someone more local will be in soon to help you out.
Good luck
Hobbes

I have a scope so no problem there. There is a station in tring but it is around 4 miles from Wilstone. Taxis are too expensive for me to use on a day trip.

I have a scope so no problem there. There is a station in tring but it is around 4 miles from Wilstone. Taxis are too expensive for me to use on a day trip.

Ah, I didn't realise. If I was going up tomorrow, I'd gladly offer to pick you up and take you but I'm busy unfortunately. I'm sure there must be someone who could help you out. I'll make some enquires and get back to you. What sort of time were you thinking of arriving in Tring?
Hobbes

Ah, I didn't realise. If I was going up tomorrow, I'd gladly offer to pick you up and take you but I'm busy unfortunately. I'm sure there must be someone who could help you out. I'll make some enquires and get back to you. What sort of time were you thinking of arriving in Tring?
Hobbes

Thanks Hobbes! I would probably wait for news and then take a train at about 10.30 am, which takes 40 minutes, but I am flexible.

Thanks Hobbes! I would probably wait for news and then take a train at about 10.30 am, which takes 40 minutes, but I am flexible.

OK. Hopefully the bird will hang about for a few days. I'll post back later with news on transport even if it's to let you know I've not found anyone.
Hobbes

Hi Oliver,

Wilstone Reservoir is not easy by bus. I have found the following which may help you plan a journey. It will not be easy but look at both Tring and Cheddington stations as stopping points from Euston:

http://www.travelinesoutheast.org.uk

News should be on the pager before 8am tomorrow as I know Roy will phone it out (if not I will get a message out myself).

Ian

Traveline is an incredibly difficult website to use but thanks anyway. I want to get to the Phalarope at Calvert as well now.

If only I could drive... I've tried to learn but found it completely impossible and had a huge amount of lessons and failed two tests.

Hi Oliver
I see you made it over to the Hertsbirding Group which was a good idea. I've not come up with a solution, I'm afraid. As I say, if I was going up tomorrow, I'd give you a lift but I'm not. I'm sorry I can't be of more help.
Good luck
Hobbes

There is a bus service from Tring station that comes into town - bus is number 387 and runs hourly. The closest the bus gets to Wilstone Res is Miswell Lane. From there you could walk up the lane, cross Icknield Way and follow footpath straight down towards the reservoir and once over the wooden footpath turn right and follow dry canal footpath to second footpath by next wooden bridge. Turn left down this footpath and follow footpaths and this takes you to the jetty. The walk takes me about 25 minutes.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back