• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kenko Pro 300 3X teleconverter (1 Viewer)

Here's a few initial photos taken this morning. Surprisingly warm here today and as I'm shooting across various warm rooftops I'm limited to the distance I can reach. You can really see the air shimmering so for now I'm limited to the nearer trees.

The Robin is from 35m as was the Blue Tit. The Comma butterfly was in the garden and from 10m range. I did three different shots to give an idea how much magnification the 3X gives. The third butterfly shot had a 40mm macro tube between camera and teleconverter and this took it from 3X to around 4.5X magnification. I found this to be sharper than stacking the 3X and 1.4X but there wasn't much difference.

Paul.

Attachments

• Butterfly1.jpg
    Butterfly1.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 139
  • Butterfly2.jpg
    Butterfly2.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 139
  • Butterfly3.jpg
    Butterfly3.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 189
  • Kenko3X.jpg
    Kenko3X.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 196
  • Kenko3X_2.jpg
    Kenko3X_2.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 132
This one was 35m, photo uncropped and taken with the Kenko 1.4 and 3X stacked together.

2nd photo was taken with a 50mm lens from the same position with an arrow showing the target bird.

Paul.

Attachments

• Kenko3X_3.jpg
    Kenko3X_3.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 184
  • target.jpg
    target.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 168
Brilliant Paul - your experimenting and particularly the results you post are really inspirational.

The last pair showing how far away the robin was made me chuckle - it's just so great what can be achieved :t:

I've been seeing some really superb photos taken with this 80mm Skywatcher ED scope. It might even tempt me too as most of my photography is wildlife oriented and the long focal length prime lenses are waaaaaay outside my budget, incredibly weighty and the results will still be down more to the the user than the lens.
The 80mm ED seems to produce very sharp and detailed images with a good camera attached. I'd likely use my Pentax K20D, which I currently use a lot with the DA*300mm, but I think if I went down this route for the reach, I might just get a Kx for it's reportedly sweet sensor.

It's all just so tempting.

In the meantime, I'll keep scanning these threads until the pressure builds and I get the credit card out!

Here's a longer range image shot with the Kenko 3X from around 85-90m from measuring it on google maps. Taken in the rain and image is uncropped.

Thanks for the comments so far btw.

Paul.

Attachments

• Magpie2.jpg
    Magpie2.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 176
I've been trying to snatch a Kenko Pro 300 anything - 1.4x, 2x, 3x - on ebay, but someone's always bidding more even when they're already pretty expensive.(it's not one of you lot is it?) I don't know how you keep snuffling these bargains Paul - it certainly isn't happening for me

I've read that the Nikon TC-200 wouldn't be any good for me because of some fitting that would need grinding down . The TC20E would be OK, but I can't extend my mortgage right now

Keep trying, I suppose :-0

The Kenko 3X that I won finished on a Saturday afternoon which was lucky I guess. I think there England were playing rugby on TV at the time which helped keep the bids down and I would say I got it £30 cheaper than it should have been. I bid £98 for one just a few weeks earlier for instance.

If I see anything worth a look at I'll let you know.

Paul.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back