• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon Extender CL 2X (1 Viewer)

Paul Corfield

On Sunday I won one of these 2X teleconverters on ebay for just £1. They used to cost around £300 new and as it's Canon glass I've got high hopes for it. It's for the Canon L1 and L2 Pro Hi-8 camcorders which means the image circle will be too small for the DSLR sensor. I'll just space it further away from the camera with a macro tube and that should allow the image circle to cover the sensor. The bayonet fittings will need modifying too but it's nothing that can't be overcome. Once it arrives I'll post some photos taken with it. It could be an inexpensive way to get some nice Canon glass or it might be a load of rubbish, we shall see.

If I ever see one cheap enough on ebay I'd also like to get hold of the Canon FD 2X-A teleconverter, just to see how it performs.

Paul.

Attachments

• Canon.jpg
    Canon.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
This Canon TC arrived today but as I previously thought it produced a small image circle which vignettes the photo about 20% or so which isn't too bad but not ideal. Apart from that the image was very sharp and it would suit a camera with a smaller sensor.

I tried spacing the teleconverter further away from the camera and while this got rid of the vignetting it distorted the image quite a lot which makes it no good for larger sensor dslr's. As it only cost me £1 it was a cheap enough experiment.

Paul.

Thanks for the info, I'd often thought about buying a 15x lens which they fitted to XL camcorders & go dirt cheap but I think it would be useless for anything else.

And that's why they cost next to nothing I suppose!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back