• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pectoral Sandpiper, Algeria (1 Viewer)

Acrocephalus

Morocco
Is the third photo here is a Pectoral Sandpiper as reported or not? It certainly has pectoral band and is a sandpiper but I don’t think it’s this species. Too compact, the bill is a bit long and down-curved compared with the photos of the other bird in that page (the first Pectoral Sandpiper for the country). I think it’s a Dunlin, but I am not 100% sure. Thanks for confirmation.

Pectoral for me, neck looks short in that position but pale legs exclude Dunlin, and with this shape of bill and pectoral band, I don't see what else it might be...

The 3rd shot is an odd posture but the first two shots confirm it imo too - pectoral.

The original link concerns two different records, and the question was whether or not the third photo was definitely a Pec.

Another question would be are they the same bird, photographed at different sites on the same day.

The posture of the bird in the third photo is a bit odd, but like others said above, it shows enough features to confirm the identification.

Pectoral id.

Hi all,
Not disagreeing with id. here. Even at a distance the thin and well spaced streaking on STS is obvious. Pectoral must be commoner in Queensland,than I thought. Does the blotching on the side breast over a paler background on these birds positively mitigate against STS. in spring?

Another question would be are they the same bird, photographed at different sites on the same day.

I'm for their being the same bird, despite the posture differences. They both share one unusually long lesser covert in the same position, and a white spot above the bill base again in the same position on both.

Thank you all for confirming the correct ID. It’s indeed a wonderful record, and merits its place as ‘co-first’ (or second) for the country.

Even that the bird shows the main feature as I said above, but it’s odd posture made me doubt about that photo (Although I know that the photographer is a good birder).

I'm for their being the same bird, despite the posture differences. They both share one unusually long lesser covert in the same position, and a white spot above the bill base again in the same position on both.
Interesting remarks! I will ask both of them to see in which time they made their respective observations.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back