• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell Custom 7X35 (1 Viewer)

ScoutMan

I have the above. I am looking for further info on them. I have this info from the followin thread. http://fantao.home.att.net/cust7x35.htm

I am primarily interested into how much water resistence these bins. have. If anyone on the forum wants to share their experience with them it would be appreciated. Also, if there is other "paper work" available which would be significant, I would appreciate that info also.

SM

I have some, and have used them for 35 years or so. (Though I think they look slightly different from the photos in your link). A good binocular, but compared to modern binoculars they are heavy and built like a tank. Mine bear the dents and stains of years of abuse, but are still perfect optically. I am sure I have worn them in the rain, but do not have specific memories of any severe tests of waterproofness.

I recently decided I needed a lighter binocular, and also one with a locking diopter since the diopter seems to be fairly loose now, and I have to adjust it almost every time I use them. I recently purchased 8 x 42 Vortex Vipers, which I think are great binoculars and significantly lighter. But I still think the old Bushnell's hold their own optically. A nice flat field and crisp, though definitely not as bright and not quite as crisp as the vipers. However, I disagree with the claim in your link that the Bushnell's have good eye relief. I wear glasses, and definitely lose some field of view when using my glasses with the binoculars.

Hope this helps,
Jim

Jim,

Thanks much for your info. From the link info the 1960 production had the locking diopter. Yours are like mine are from the 1970's production, the manufacturer being unknown but designated as "BOPA".

For your loose diopter try this. Go to your favorite hardware store and get an "O" ring just a bit smaller than the diameter of the diopter housing. Should solve your problem.

Thanks again.

SM (Jim Savage)

Thanks for the tip Jim. They are currently serving as my "house binoculars", so it could prove useful.

Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back