• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which pocket compact: Zeiss Victory 8x20 or Nikon LX L 8x21 (1 Viewer)

Kevin Purcell

Which pocket compact: Zeiss Victory 8x20 or Nikon LX L 8x20

Which pocket compact of these two would you choose:

Zeiss Victory 8x20
Novel offset single hinge
Field of View 351 ft./1000 yds.
Eye Relief 14mm
Close Focus 8.5 ft.
Weight 7.9 oz.
Dimensions (HxW) 4.0 x 3.8 in.
Weatherproofing Waterproof/Fogproof

Nikon LX L 8x20
Double hinge
Field of View 356 ft./1000 yds.
Eye Relief 15mm
Close Focus 7.8 ft.
Weight 9.5 oz.
Dimensions (HxW) 3.7 x 4.2 in.
Weatherproofing Waterproof/Fogproof

Specs are a rough wash but the Zeiss seems to have the smaller numbers which is less good except for weight. Most of the figures are very close.

I wear glasses.

Any comments on view, usage, and so on welcome.

Kevin,

For my comments, perhaps more extensive than you would care for, check the link below.

http://www.alula.fi/GB/index.htm

On this page, you find them towards the bottom under:

corrected reviews from number 1/2006 (PDF, 430 Kb)

I might add that I have since got myself the Ultravid 8x20, but for wearing glasses the Nikon might be better still.

Kimmo

P.s. I have heard that Alula as a magazine is perhaps going to end, so it is possible that these pages will go in the near future. As for this morning, though, they were still up.

Last edited:
Which pocket compact of these two would you choose:
Zeiss Victory 8x20
Nikon LX L 8x20
Any comments on view, usage, and so on welcome.

had the opportunity to try both types on 29 November.
Both are fine.
The Zeiss is probably the brightest in its class.
But the focusser is undersized and quite stiff because of the water-proofing.

The Nikon (actually a 10x25) was great. Very bright, clean image. Very sharp. Focusser (sorry, Zeiss) much better: easy, smooth, precise.

Personally I'd prefer the practically distorsion-free Nikon image, but that's obviously a matter of taste.

The hinges on the Nikon were too loose, though. IPD could change accidentally.

The broad bridge design of both felt superior to my hand to the rather narrow bridges of some other pocket binos (Leicas, Zeiss Conquest).

A worthy contender is the Swarovski 8x20. Neck to neck (nose to nose) with the Nikon in terms of ergonomics, image quality and ease of view.
The Nikon's more affordable over here.

Tom

Kevin;

I have attached a picture of a few of my compacts sorted by “box” volume size; max. Length times max. Height times max. Width.

I prefer the ergo’s of the Zeiss but the image of Nikon. I generally use the Zeiss more often than the Nikons, the size and the focus up front are just not for me.

Of the ones shown the little Zeiss IF on the left and the Ultravid get, by far, the most use. The Ultravid is just terrific but the Zeiss is so small that you can carry it without regard if you do not expect to need a bino. After all, the best bino is the one you have with you.

Best
Ron

PS. The Zeiss IF's would be useless for a glasses wearer.

Attachments

• PICT0578.jpg
    PICT0578.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 2,726
Last edited:
For me, the handling properties of pocket roofs are as important as their optics. My favorite are the Leica 8x20 Ultravid. I also own the Zeiss 8x20 Victory, which in my opinion handles much better than the Nikon--I don't like the Nikon pinky focus. My original Zeiss unit (manufactured before the pocket Victory got dielectric coating) was excellent in comparison to many other pocket roofs, but in comparison to the Ultravid, it did suffer from the issues w/contrast that Kimmo described in his excellent Alula review. That unit was replaced by Zeiss for one of more recent manufacture (with dielectric coating), and I must say it is every bit the equal of my Ultravid in dealing with tricky lighting if not better (I don't know why--whether because of the different coating or some other improvement). I still like the Ultravid a bit better overall for the size of its focus knob, but the Zeiss is a very very close second (I like it better than all other top-end pocket roofs).

Kimmo,
It would be a shame if your optics reviews in Alula were no longer available on line. They are very useful, both for the reviews and as a model to others as to how to write an informative review. Is there any chance that these reviews, and for that matter, any of the reviews you've written since the 2006 pocket bino review will be retained/made available on the web?

--AP

Alexis;

My Victory's were bought when they first came out, so probably first generation. Do you have any idea of a serial number break, or other ID, of the later units?

Thanks,
Ron

Alexis;

My Victory's were bought when they first came out, so probably first generation. Do you have any idea of a serial number break, or other ID, of the later units?

Thanks,
Ron

I don't know off the top of my head, and I don't have any of my files w/me right now that might contain that info (or at least what year it was that the change was announced). One obvious difference in my units is that the newer one has the model name (Victory) molded in big lettering into the rubber armor on the bridge (From your photo, I can see that yours has the classier smooth styling of my original unit). I don't know that the change in bridge armor coincided with the coating change (I suspect that the armor change may have come later), and I don't even know if the change to dielectric explains the difference in performance between my units. Maybe Zeiss could provide serial number info.

--AP

Compacts are hell.

I just picked up a pair of these to try out.

Sigma Armada 8x23 WaterProof

7 degree FOV.

I dont care for the Ruby Coatings but I tried some of these out long ago and remember liking the uncramped view. I think I saw them at West Marine and have been looking for some ever since.....they may have been Kenkos though...kind of fuzzy. We'll see how it pans out.

Last edited:
At one time I owned the 8x20 Trinovids, Victory and Nikon LX. The LX and Victory were the best. I got used to the pinky focus on the Nikon (sort of). The view of the Nikon were slightly better to me. I sold all three of those eventually and this spring got a DEAL of the day on some Victory's and have used them quite a bit.

If I were doing it again I would compare the Nikon, Ultravid and the Zeiss. I think the view's are very comparable. Ergos would decide it.

Dave

This is a little like choosing between Hell* and Texas. |;|

The only one that (somewhat) floats my boat is brutally expensive, the Ultravid. Seven hundred bucks for a bino I'd prefer to not have to use ain't a'gonna happen!

If I had to have mini roof prism bins, and pay for them, I'd probably go with the Nikons and put up with the obnoxious pinky focus.

Personally, I use lowly Nikon 8x25 ProStaffs and you know, they're not that much larger and not too bad optically.
I sure like the eyecups and ergos much better than any of the aforementioned roofs.

* http://theeverymanblog.wordpress.com/2008/01/15/capitalizing-hell/

Last edited:
Before you buy any compact binocular read this informative article on their limitations from Better View Desired. I much prefer the Nikon 8x20 LX L if you have to have a compact. An 8x32 is bigger but so much easier to use. Here is the link:

http://www.betterviewdesired.com/compact-binoculars-bvd.php

Dennis

Many thanks for all the responses. Very helpful!

So the either or is a little drive by both being available at good prices right now.

Dennis: I have read that one and I've contributed to several of the compact bin threads here (e.g. orbitaljump ... read the older threads!). I have a few 32mm bins but this is for an "always carry" bin (as Surveyor mentions).

Kimmo: Thanks for the review pointer I looked but I didn't think to look in that PDF.

Surveyor: what is the left-most bin in your photo? A Conquest?

More general questions:

Does the Nikon double hinge have a stop on the barrels. I find double hinge a lot easier to use if I open one tube to the stop then adjust the IPD with the other tube.

How have people found the ergonomics of the Victory both in the pocket (does that part of the hinge that sticks out a little cause problems) and setting IPD for a view.

A couple of comments mention the Nikon's "distortion free" view. Is the Victory "distortion full"? ;) What is the difference here?

Thanks in advance ...

I run the Victory's in a pocket of my safari type shorts and no problem. I find them to be pretty easy to put into quick action. The view is about as good as it gets in a pocket bino. Sharp as a tack really, just dim in low light but that's not what I use it for. Zoo trips, etc.

Surveyor: what is the left-most bin in your photo? A Conquest?
Thanks in advance ...

Kevin, they are the first compacts I bought, about the middle/latish 60's and no name that I am aware of. Sentimental favorites. They are 8x20 individual focus, which does not bother me because I can usually set the focus before I put them to my eyes, or I can focus almost as quickly as a CF (not hardly, maybe twice the time) from experience and technique. Worse problem is the eye lens is only about 10 mm diameter and recessed about 5 mm but they have a good diopter range, they will focus down around 2 meters. You can usually find them on e__y for $100 or less.

Oh, Im pretty up on things. I would never spend big bucks on a compact so havent looked through one till a couple of weeks ago.

Ive been using the Nikon Sportstar 8x25 8.2 degrees as a compact.

Cant stand narrow fovs.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back