• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bathing robin (1 Viewer)

judge9847

I really am new at this so please forgive in advance what might be a totally stupid question!

I was watching the birds in the back garden - with my camera at the ready of course! - and I noticed a robin taking a bath in the large-ish flower pot base I have on the ground. So I aimed the camera and squeezed off a few shots. Whilst that was happening, another robin flew in, stood on the edge of the dish and proceeded to feed the bathing robin - and I was lucky enough to capture that though the actual moment of transfer image is a bit on the blurred side but unmistakeable as to what's going on.

But I'm surprised it happened. The bathing bird is quite clearly a robin, complete with bright red chest and the feeding bird is also quite clearly a robin. I thought that young/juvenile robins - and there were a couple in the garden at times last year - were quite plain, speckled chaps: they didn't have the full blown red chest until later in life.

So that's the question - or perhaps there are two there! I have the images and can post them if it's not a question from the Stupidium family tree. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Elizabeth Bigg said:
Could it have been courtship feeding between a pair - maybe he was saying something along the lines of - "Let's have another one"?

Thanks for the reply Elizabeth.

Well, I suppose it could have been!! And there was me thinking that chocolates or flowers were the things that turned a lady's eye ...

Just for the heck of it, two of the photos are attached. The second one is somewhat out of focus (I moved I think!) but considering these were done with a handheld FZ10 using (dare I admit this?) some digital zoom on top of the 12x optical, I'm not that disappointed. At least, the action of feeding can be seen.

Are these two adults courting? And if that's so, I'm guessing that the bird in the water is the female ...

Attachments

• robins01.jpg
    robins01.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 215
  • robins02.jpg
    robins02.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 200
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back