• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone else using Leica Douvids 10-15x50? (1 Viewer)

Lunardirp

Hi

I have been using a pair for about a month now and I am really happy with them. I actually find that I can hold them steady unaided at 15x for short periods of time.

I use normal 10x42 when walking and general use.

I use the douvids when I am going to hides (I also use a scope for real distance stuff) or with a monopod when hill walking for raptors.

Anyone else using them?

If the where a little lighter I would use them all the time and probaly at 15x for most of the time.

I am hoping to purchase a pair of Duovids and so it is interesting what you have to say about them. Can they be used by someone wearing glasses and is the field of view a problem? I thought that they might double up as for general use but also as a small spotting scope on a tripod. What do you think?

I'm curious whether any of you who have the Leica Duovids have compared them to any other high end zooms, for example the Nikon 8-16X40 XL porros or Brunton Epoch 8-15X35 roofs.

I think zooms can be very useable and have used my Nikons XLs for years as one of my primary birding binoculars. But of course the apparent field of view deficiency is quite frustrating, although still worth the sacrifice in many situations . But it seems to me, having tried the Leicas briefly and the Epochs for a while, that it is possible to design a better apparent FOV.

Both however had some usability problems to me. I don't understand why Leica chose to make the eyepieces move independently (presumably for some optical advantage?). And yes they were heavy.

Incidentally, optically I think the Nikons are quite remarkable and I've seen them for about $400. They are not weatherproof but are very durable.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back