• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Colombia, Rusty-margined Flycatcher or Great Kiskadee? (1 Viewer)

MatzePutze

Hi,

I'm looking for someone, who can help me with the ID of the attached bird. It's the only picture, I took.

I took the picture end of January 2016 in Rio Claro Valley, Medellin, Colombia.

My first idea was Great Kiskadee untill somebody asked me, why it isn't a Rusty-margined Flycatcher.

Would be nice to learn more about Southern American birds.

Best regards,

Matze

Attachments

• colombia_Feb2016.jpg
    colombia_Feb2016.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 76
Definitely not Great Kiskadee, the bill is much too small!

It could be a Rusty-margined, I can't tell, but there are other species in Colombia with that same general appearance (I don't know which occur in Rio Claro), and it could be one of those.

Agree, definitely not a Great Kiskadee (or a Lesser for that matter)

I've not seen Rusty-margined, but this looks a lot like a Social Flycatcher.

Last edited:
Social and Rusty-margined are really similar, best told apart by voice according to one book I checked some time ago.

Rusty-margined seems more frequently reported from Medellin (poblado) according to ebird

Niels

We can rule out Social Flycatcher. This bird shows the golden yellow (usually concealed) coronal stripe. This is consistent with Rusty-margined but inconsistent with Social which has a mostly red coronal stripe.

I also agree Lesser Kiskadee can be ruled out (by shorter bill).

Good way to distinguish Rusty-margined from other similar Flycatchers is that the white eyebrows do not meet on the rear crown. A photo of this would clear up any doubt.

We can rule out Social Flycatcher. This bird shows the golden yellow (usually concealed) coronal stripe. This is consistent with Rusty-margined but inconsistent with Social which has a mostly red coronal stripe.

I also agree Lesser Kiskadee can be ruled out (by shorter bill).

Good way to distinguish Rusty-margined from other similar Flycatchers is that the white eyebrows do not meet on the rear crown. A photo of this would clear up any doubt.

Thanks for the detailed explaination. It was my first time in Southern America and the "yellow Flycatcher" drove me crazy. Best regards, Matze

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back