• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipit, Spain (1 Viewer)

Really? This week? A juvenile Yellow Wgtail in January.

Surely an error......

I don't see why not, plenty of other normally trans-saharan migrants are starting to winter in Spain in small numbers with global warming. If obligate aerial insectivores like House Martin and Barn Swallow can survive, Yellow Wags should have no problem at all, particularly if they join flocks of White Wags.

I don't see why not, plenty of other normally trans-saharan migrants are starting to winter in Spain in small numbers with global warming. If obligate aerial insectivores like House Martin and Barn Swallow can survive, Yellow Wags should have no problem at all, particularly if they join flocks of White Wags.

I assume that the Q is regarding plumage rather than location?

Don't Wagtails moult pre migration, so it shouldn't be in juv plumage?

A

I assume that the Q is regarding plumage rather than location?

Don't Wagtails moult pre migration, so it shouldn't be in juv plumage?

A

Ah! Yeah, I guess 'first-winter' would be technically more accurate. I'd assumed the question was concerning the accuracy of the cited date in relation to the species ID. Particularly as Peter had already said "Steve is right" :t:

Last edited:
Ah! Yeah, I guess 'first-winter' would be technically more accurate. I'd assumed the question was concerning the accuracy of the cited date in relation to the species ID. Particularly as Peter had already said "Steve is right" :t:

No, first winter is not correct. The bird is clearly in juvenile plumage (which is worn for app.three weeks) with no signs of moult.
Even the c.o.m. are still yellowish and swollen, meaning that was photograhed within a timeframe of a few weeks after fledging.
A January record of the species is improbable - but not outrageously so - what cannot be said of a breeding record in December :-C

Peter

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back