• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Grouse (1 Viewer)

smeltmill

Dear all,

I listened to this program this morning and can recommend it.

“This morning's program comes from the grouse moors of Northern England, not to join a shoot, but to look at a project which has spent the last seven years trying to increase the numbers of one of England's rarest birds. The black grouse was once found in every county in England except two. Now the last remaining 800 cock birds are restricted to a small part of the North Pennines stretching from Teesdale to the Scottish Border.

The black grouse recovery project, which was set up by the Game Conservancy Trust, has been working for the past seven years to stabilise and grow the population. Having successfully increased numbers in Teesdale, they now want to target Wensleydale in North Yorkshire. The black grouse has declined in recent years because of intensive grazing by sheep, and because of poor weather during the breeding season.
Project officer Phil Warren uses radio tracking equipment to locate the birds, as well as persuading landowners to plant traditional broad leaved woodland to give them cover. Such has been the success of the project that the Raby estate in Upper Teesdale is considering shooting them once again. Keeper Lindsay Waddle says the taste of the bird is much more delicate than its red cousin, and unusually for a game bird it has light and dark meat like turkey.”

Go to-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/news/farmingtoday/index.shtml

Click Listen to the latest farming to day program in the listen again box.

Yours etc.
Gordon Boreham-Styffe.

Thankyou for that Gordon, I just got in from work and got your PM. I managed to catch the program, though it's disgraceful that they are considering shooting them again, no matter how good they taste! They are a species that I am very interested in and have watched several times this year - never seen one with a radio transmitter though.

Certainly this year I have seen more around and far more widely dispersed that in previous years but they are by no means common. I have seen them as far south as Swaledale and even by Lockwood Beck on the North Yorkshire Moors.

Dear Ian,

I had an idea they were special to you.
They certainly are for me.

Lindsey Waddle works for Lord Barnard as head keeper at the top end of the dale and I suspect knows where his bread is buttered.

The radio tag has been invisible in my bins.

Teesdale is featured on this program fairly often as, I believe, Mark Holdstock is currently living in the dale.

Will alert you if any more programs appear.

I totally agree with your sentiments.
Regards.
G B-S.

Can just see it - someone'll shoot one, and there'll be a shower of electronic components from a direct hit on its radio transmitter . . . and maybe (with luck!) the bird will survive by being shielded by it

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back