• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Revisiting the classic porro (1 Viewer)

Frank

My two latest acquisitions are on the left and the other pic is of the two center focus 7x50's (Canon and Nikon) I've been comparing with each other and with some of my IF 7x50's. I've got about a dozen of the earlier CF Nikon porros and seven of the vintage CF Canons. The mechanical build and view provided is great on both series but I'd have to say I prefer the view in the Nikons just because of the excellent coatings Nikon applied to their lenses.

I find the Canons to be just as sharp as the Nikons (and probably even more rugged) but the Nikons have that "pop" in the image that stands out from other manufacturers. When I compare "apples to apples", i.e. vintage porros manufactured at approximately the same date, it seems like Nikon is always a step ahead of the others when it comes to the quality of their coatings.

Hate to hear about the fractured prism in one of your new batch of binoculars. May be able to help since I've acquired several "parts" binoculars, let me know what you need.

Steve

Attachments

• phpJOnyJnAM.jpg
    phpJOnyJnAM.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 399
  • phpNvvxbzAM.jpg
    phpNvvxbzAM.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 388
Steve,

Those are some great models. I am jealous. ;)

I had one of them, the Gold Sentinel, but recently parted with it because of financial reasons. The Pentax looks very interesting. I will have to keep an eye out for one in the future. It looks fairly modern compared to some of the Pentax porros I have seen come up recently.

7x50s have become a bit more of my focus recently after having acquired many in a variety of body styles and specifications. I actually had a bid in for a similar Canon model in recent weeks but, sadly, did not win the auction.

My focus now is more on the lesser known brands. As I was with roofs I tend to look for more of the unknowns as I like to be surprised by the quality I end up with. Will post some more recent acquisition pics as time allows.

...and will let you know about your offer. The model in question is a Sears bin that I have not seen listed previously. I have a several "part bins" that may work but if they don't then I will get in touch.

Frank

My two latest acquisitions are on the left and the other pic is of the two center focus 7x50's (Canon and Nikon) I've been comparing with each other and with some of my IF 7x50's. I've got about a dozen of the earlier CF Nikon porros and seven of the vintage CF Canons. The mechanical build and view provided is great on both series but I'd have to say I prefer the view in the Nikons just because of the excellent coatings Nikon applied to their lenses.

I find the Canons to be just as sharp as the Nikons (and probably even more rugged) but the Nikons have that "pop" in the image that stands out from other manufacturers. When I compare "apples to apples", i.e. vintage porros manufactured at approximately the same date, it seems like Nikon is always a step ahead of the others when it comes to the quality of their coatings.

Hate to hear about the fractured prism in one of your new batch of binoculars. May be able to help since I've acquired several "parts" binoculars, let me know what you need.

Steve

Ah, how nice porros they seem to be...
I think i was not even born when they made these binoculars, period where the boxes were poor and the binocs extra, which is today the exact opposite.

Ah, how nice porros they seem to be...
I think i was not even born when they made these binoculars, period where the boxes were poor and the binocs extra, which is today the exact opposite.

And the binoculars and boxes were made in the same country. Even some of the premium Nikon binoculars still made in Japan come in boxes made/printed in China. Nothing is as simple as it used to be.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back