• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New kid on the block ... Theron Questa (1 Viewer)

Okay then :)

Thanks Frank. Actually, I felt (which is why I included that word above) that on occasion with a McKinley (which is why I asked for that comparison). Really, I think, I was looking hard for problems, having been "educated beyond my station" in optics by this forum.

The McKinley also has the same superb optical design, but the model run had QC problems, which affected that individual instrument. For me it had two major issues which, going by your reports above, have been very well corrected in the Questa: deficient outer-field sharpness, and the rolling globe effect.

PS. Here is another smart guy. (But he gets a standing ovation.)

Last edited:
Frank, you have described briefly your experience with the Nikon Monarch-HG at the recent show in the thread on that event. Despite the flattened outer field not being sharp, are there charactersitics in regard to which you prefer the Monarch-HG over the Questa (other than size and weight presumably)? Thank you.

I didn't have the opportunity to compare the two side by side but, going by memory and experience, I would say the HGs are slightly brighter/more color neutral. The Questa definitely had a larger sweet spot/better edges.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back