• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi from Kentucky! (1 Viewer)

kydeb

Hi from Kentucky! I live in Frankfort right now (and have for almost 15 years) but I grew up in Charleston, SC and still have family there. I found this site when I was trying to find an identification for this woodpecker. Looks like a great site!! Does anyone know what this is? I have downey woodpeckers and a red-bellied. This one is bigger than the red-bellied and is very timid - you wouldn't believe what I had to go through to get a decent picture!!
Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• DSC_0029 cropped and resized for bird forum.jpg
    DSC_0029 cropped and resized for bird forum.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Welcome Kydeb! I'm from Tennessee originally, but firmly planted in NY now. That's a Northern flicker, and we have them up here now, too. You'll see them at feeders now, but in warmer weather feeding from the ground a lot. Nice birds. In flight you'll see the yellow underwing color--these are called 'yellow shafted' in fact, and there is a western form that has red under the wing. David

Hi Kydeb, I see you have your answer so a warm welcome to you from the BirdForum Moderators & Administration. Good to have you with us :t:!

WOW!! Thanks for the warm welcome and the quick response!! I'm sure I'll be posting more questions!! LOL I just downloaded the photos from my computer onto backup drives but I know that there are a couple of birds I haven't figured out yet! I'm new to the birding and photography so you'll have to bear with me, please.
Deb

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back