• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oly E410/E420 (1 Viewer)

one more question... has anyone tried the Sigma 55-200 on these cameras, it works out cheaper than the 40-150 kit lens and has a wider range.
There is a review of the 55-200 here:
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/si-055-200.html

Note that in the review he is comparing it against an earlier model of the Olympus 40-150 (a 3.5-4.5 version). At the bottom he mentions the newer current 40-150 model, which he says is somewhat better than the Sigma optically.

Myself, I have the Oly 40-150. Very nice lens, and I think if you shop around, you can get it as cheap or cheaper than the Sigma. I got my 40-150 for $115 from Amazon about 3 months ago.

Thanks for all the advice and info guys... but I've decided against the Olympus. I was really impressed with the E420, off all the small DSLR options it was the one I was favouring. But I borrowed a 350D over the weekend and it made me realise that even a small DSLR isn't small enough, I really want a take everywhere camera. So I've decided to compromise a bit on image quality (especially at high ISO) and get a Canon G9 compact. The G9 is a good deal cheaper than the DSLR options I was looking at so I may well add a used Canon body too for those times when I don't mind carrying the weight and need the low light performance.

That's fair enough Peter. At least you have had a good look at Olympus cameras with an open mind. A lot of people seem to dismiss them out of hand. A carry anywhere compact camera does have some real advantages for certain applications. For the space it takes up I should really have my Fuji F30 in my pocket for landscapes etc.

Ron

it made me realise that even a small DSLR isn't small enough, I really want a take everywhere camera.
I agree with you completely. I see people who are obviously tourists lugging around DSLRs so they can take snapshots of their trip and it really makes me scratch my head. Point-and-shoots definitely have their place as carry-around cameras.

over my many years of photography I do not have enough fingers and toes to count the people I know that have purchased way above their true need,,

interesting they ask for advice and then just ignore it,,?????

Derry

I have used Olympus slrs for about 30 years after moving up from their little Pen cameras - used for weddings, wildlife, calendars etc., no hassles & currently using various E's , but what do I use 'off duty'? - a little compact - currently an Ixus 80 - less than the size of an slr lens.
Try one - you will be amazed, both its portability and the quality! Nothing really to adjust - have fun - take pictures.

one more question... has anyone tried the Sigma 55-200 on these cameras, it works out cheaper than the 40-150 kit lens and has a wider range.

I have used this combination, I think that the 40 150 was the better lens quality wise although the person I sold the sigma to on ebay thinks the sigma is better!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back