• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ABA Birders's Guide magazine (1 Viewer)

I would imagine it's a summary of possible future taxonomic changes and splits, while the listing part probably deals ABA guidelines on counting as well as where to see new ABA additions

I doubt there will be much new for anyone here, but a lot of birders don't follow taxonomy, and knowing why and how taxonomic changes are made would be useful for them

I would imagine it's a summary of possible future taxonomic changes and splits, while the listing part probably deals ABA guidelines on counting as well as where to see new ABA additions

With a budget of 64 pages I expect they'll be able to fit in a bit more than that, even with the advertising. I'm going to be interested to see what they come up with.

I received my issue yesterday, and there is some interesting information in it, although mostly relevant to the ABA area. In particular there is a good article about the ABA Checklist Committee and some of their thought processes and challenges they face with changes in technology.

I know we have another thread on this, but: distribution of sage sparrow splits was not well presented in this link

Niels

[Not sure why the 2nd issue of a new magazine is Vol. 25, No. 3...?]
Please see page 59 "formerly Winging It."

As suspected, a good chunk of the information was general stuff we knew. A big article on nine-primaried oscine relationships, importance of bird calls and bird recording to taxonomy, and an overview of AOU checklist changes were some of the major articles. I did enjoy the discussion of future checklist challenges in the context of the recent additions. I don't envy the checklist committee having to tackle the Hooded Crane records.

There were a couple of random notes that were interesting:

Apparently there looks to be a proposal this year to AOU to change the common name of Nutmeg Mannikin, and there will probably be another proposal to split White-breasted Nuthatch

The recording committee is back in existence and is performing an overhaul of existing recording rules.

The above committee may also be involved with the proposal to add Hawaii to the ABA, which we haven't heard anything about for over a year.

Listing Central has added more features

I know we have another thread on this, but: distribution of sage sparrow splits was not well presented in this link

Did you click on the wrong link, perhaps? One links to a blog post that doesn't cover that topic at all. The other to the entire issue of the magazine, which has a large portion of an article ("Check-list Redux") devoted to it, including three range maps.

Last edited:
Maybe I was a little harsh in my statement. I agree that for a large part of the range, the range maps are probably ok. Where I am missing some detail is in California, where a range map superimposed on a map showing mountain ranges and other similar physical features would have helped a lot compared to the rather featureless base for these maps.

To put my complaint in context: I have birded in CA a couple of times but I do not live there, so maybe some of the statements made in the article would make more sense to those who do.

Niels

2016 issue is up:

http://blog.aba.org/2016/10/bg-lt-2016.html

Of note, there is summary article of future splits/lumps in ABA area birds, with a pretty exhausting chart at the end (I think I maybe only noticed a fews things that were missed), a guide to getting all the bird families of the world, and the annual AOU checklist update summary.

The big chart of splits should be especially of interest to folks on this forum.

Many of them already accepted by IOC; a pity the list didn't have a column saying which are / aren't accepted by IOC.

The whole article was written from the standpoint of splits that would add birds to the ABA checklist, which in turn derives their taxonomy from the AOU. Whether or not IOC or other checklists recognize a species doesn't actually impact the article

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back