• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

second time around (1 Viewer)

SUPPRESSOR

England
I have heard it said 'Once you've tried black you never go back" Well I have ,gone back to grey in fact. On my second 10x42 Zeiss SF. Unlike the first pair these have shown no sign yet of armour discolouration,the focuser is smooth, no noise and moves in both directions with the same amount of resistance.

That bright coloured washer that could rust has also gone.

Image wise compared with the HTs I could see no difference in colour bias,both looked neutral to me.
I preferred the better locking eyecups of the SFs as I have them fully extended and of course the wider field of view apart from that hard to choose between them,both top binoculars.

Anyway the Hts have gone and I am enjoying using the GREY SFs.
Dennis was correct,but, isn't he always:D
Suppressor

I have heard it said 'Once you've tried black you never go back" Well I have ,gone back to grey in fact. On my second 10x42 Zeiss SF. Unlike the first pair these have shown no sign yet of armour discolouration,the focuser is smooth, no noise and moves in both directions with the same amount of resistance.

That bright coloured washer that could rust has also gone.

Image wise compared with the HTs I could see no difference in colour bias,both looked neutral to me.
I preferred the better locking eyecups of the SFs as I have them fully extended and of course the wider field of view apart from that hard to choose between them,both top binoculars.

Anyway the Hts have gone and I am enjoying using the GREY SFs.
Dennis was correct,but, isn't he always:D
Suppressor
Interesting. Zeiss must be correcting some of the initial production problems. The SF's 10x42 I looked at were very nice at Cabella's and were perfect in every way including the focus which was very smooth in both directions. In the store they compared well to my 10x50 SV's and that is a complement because the SV's are superb binoculars and the SF's had a noticeable bigger FOV. I was really impressed with the feeling of lightness of the SF's.

Last edited:
Interesting. Zeiss must be correcting some of the initial production problems. The SF's 10x42 I looked at were very nice at Cabella's and were perfect in every way including the focus which was very smooth in both directions. In the store they compared well to my 10x50 SV's and that is a complement because the SV's are superb binoculars and the SF's had a noticeable bigger FOV. I was really impressed with the feeling of lightness of the SF's.
Yes Dennis, I had a pair of 12x50 swarovision and they were superb I sold them to help fund my first pair of SFs. They really were superb were the Sfs better,no,both were, are top class.
suppressor

The washer was changed last year.

Lee

What were they thinking about putting it in in the first place.:eek!:Leica did the same thing with ultravid a silver washer in between the two halves of the plastic tubes around the central hinge,stuck out like a sore thumb.
suppressor

What were they thinking about putting it in in the first place.:eek!:Leica did the same thing with ultravid a silver washer in between the two halves of the plastic tubes around the central hinge,stuck out like a sore thumb.
suppressor

I don't know the story behind this Suppo but from other business experiences I know that with the best of intentions purchasing officers, especially when they are under pressure to not only contain costs but to reduce them, can try to save money by going for what just looks like a cheaper option of a minor component.

Lee

I don't know the story behind this Suppo but from other business experiences I know that with the best of intentions purchasing officers, especially when they are under pressure to not only contain costs but to reduce them, can try to save money by going for what just looks like a cheaper option of a minor component.

Lee

and there goes your build quality..penny wise pound foolish.......a top notch firm [like Zeiss] should try to use the best components available for the assembly of all their alpha binoculars ....and at least time tested methods/parts should be used on lower grade offerings until a new way is proven through thorough testing.....this is how positive corporate reputations are earned....never produce a problem...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back