• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just another Arctic Warbler? Singapore, Oct 2017 (1 Viewer)

TwiddlingThumbs

Is this just another Arctic Warbler? All photos are of the same bird.

The super on the left of the bird looks much shorter than what I've seen in other Arctic Warblers but the one on the right looks much longer and more "normal". In the 8 - 10 minutes I spent trying to photograph this bird, it had looked round and puffed up the whole time. Not like the lanky and longer Arctic Warblers I know. Habitat is the edge of a forest. The other likely warbler in this habitat would be the Eastern Crowned Warbler but no lateral crown stripe or yellow vent rules that out.

Attachments

• AW.JPG
    AW.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 58
  • AW2.JPG
    AW2.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 71
  • AW1.JPG
    AW1.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 58
I think the super looks shorter in the left-hand image partly because of its hunched posture. I think the bird is worn - there's no wingbar visible for a start. Apart from that it looks like a standard Arctic to me.

Not worn, the wing-bar is mainly obscured by the 'loose' upper part feathering; the outermost pale tips to the greater coverts are just visible in the second image and pale tips are certainly visible in the third image. The images are not anywhere sharp enough to age it.

Agree its an 'Arctic' warbler sp. most probably borealis on location.

Grahame

Not worn, the wing-bar is mainly obscured by the 'loose' upper part feathering; the outermost pale tips to the greater coverts are just visible in the second image and pale tips are certainly visible in the third image. The images are not anywhere sharp enough to age it.

Agree its an 'Arctic' warbler sp. most probably borealis on location.

Grahame

Ah, OK. Should have looked more carefully at the 2nd and 3rd images.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back