• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Comparative review, GPO, Maven, Stryka, Tract (2 Viewers)

Steve....
I just wanted to add a photo of the two I still have that are in your comparison and two likely competitors. I hope you don't mind! I just felt like it might be of help to someone... We have from left to right the Styrka S7 8X42, Leica Trinovid HD 8X42, Nikon Monarch HG 8X42, Maven B.1 8X42.

Attachments

• DSC_0155.jpg
    DSC_0155.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 5,110
When I first started with binoculars and such it was Jason, Bushnell, Bausch and Lomb, Steiner, and of course Swift.

Hi, Chuck:

Times are a changing.

In 1972, David Bushnell sold out to B&L. Then, when B&L got more interested in larger, more expensive equipment they sold the binocular business—Bushnell. Thus, it became its own company, again. Today, it comes from the same warehouse as TASCO and JASON. Steiner became part of Beretta Holding in 2008 and instruments made in Germany became the exception instead of the rule. Then for a time Burris was the importer of Steiner—most coming from China.

Finally, we have Swift—est. 1926. When Humphry Swift died, LONG-TIME employees were let go and Allison Swift (Hop’s daughter) closed the Boston operation to concentrate on the microscope branch in California. And, the last I heard was that she had sold that operation and was now working as a marketing and advertising guru in SoCal.

I would have liked to have had the reins at Swift before, after the sale, it became another “me too” company offering “me too” instruments.

I used to enjoy after hours chats with Humphry, who would answer the phone pretending to be the janitor until he recognized my voice. :cat:

Ah, but we can’t un-ring the bell.

Bill

Steve, have you looked at the Sig Sauer Zulu 7 or Zulu 9 binoculars?

They appear to be the same as the Maven B1 and B2 with different armor.

The Zulu 7 is steadily gaining popularity in the hunting crowd. Better pricing than from Maven on the same glass?

I have a 10x42 Zulu 7 in route and will compare to 10x42 examples of the Zeiss Conquest HD and Styrka S9.

Thanks

Last edited:
Steve, have you looked at the Sig Sauer Zulu 7 or Zulu 9 binoculars?

They appear to be the same as the Maven B1 and B2 with different armor.

The Zulu 7 is steadily gaining popularity in the hunting crowd. Better pricing than from Maven on the same glass?

I have a 10x42 Zulu 7 in route and will compare to 10x42 examples of the Zeiss Conquest HD and Styrka S9.

Thanks

I have not seen a Sig Sauer. I can not comment on them other than that. ;)

Steve C.,

Than you for providing some enlightening reading on this Sunday Morning with snow on the ground. I am new to the roof glass, so being curious how long have these brands been around. When I was a diver in the past we all used seiko divers, build like tanks....Now they are so many boutique watch brands of which have gone, or are going out of business - so no parts for repair. I have amassed some old seikos over the years, and they are over 35 years old and still going strong - they were well made and produced so many that the parts supply seems endless.
The binos you reviewed seem to be built well and have a good rep. with avid users, I just wonder if parts and service will be around in XX Years and how many they actually sell, (world numbers vs the EU or the US). Just curious.

Andy W.

Steve C.,

Than you for providing some enlightening reading on this Sunday Morning with snow on the ground. I am new to the roof glass, so being curious how long have these brands been around. When I was a diver in the past we all used seiko divers, build like tanks....Now they are so many boutique watch brands of which have gone, or are going out of business - so no parts for repair. I have amassed some old seikos over the years, and they are over 35 years old and still going strong - they were well made and produced so many that the parts supply seems endless.
The binos you reviewed seem to be built well and have a good rep. with avid users, I just wonder if parts and service will be around in XX Years and how many they actually sell, (world numbers vs the EU or the US). Just curious.

Andy W.
Andy,

None of the brands in the review have been around long enough to have much of a history. To some, that represents true tragedy. To some it is not much of an issue. I do not want to undervalue the idea of history and future continuity if repair is needed somewhere down the line. My goal is to evaluate these binoculars, one because they are there, two that potential users should have some awareness of what is there.

So I suppose it depends on where someone fits in the continuum. In fact there is little if any, technology involved in producing a binocular that is in the sole domain of a particular producer. Technology transfer has largely occurred. It further seems that the frontiers of possible improvement in the binocular of today are pretty much diminished.

A point not much noted outside of the reviews is that all of these companies are being started by people coming from pretty solid prior backgrounds in the optics business. They had to know upfront the road ahead was steep. Binoculars are not a huge business. Yet they started them anyway. Why would they do that? No reward without some risk. If you are a big player, you better keep your eyes open. Why are the new companies there in the first place? Sitting on your laurels will get you run over. Would we have the Zeiss Conquest HD or the Nikon Monarch HG if it were not for the push from the newcomers? Will the new comers push hard enough to succeed? Will the old guard innovate enough to keep their place? Vortex seems a pretty good example of a newcomer who seems to have a pretty high chance of survival. What will happen is anybody's guess.

For my part, I appreciate knowing you liked the review.

Last edited:
I just wanted say a huge thanks to Steve C for this review. I recently upgraded from a pair of Vortex Talon 8x32's to the new Schott HT version of the Tract 8x42 based on the material here. Its an incredible difference! While I can't comment on any difference between the non-Schott glass and these, in terms of price-to-quality, the Torics are outstanding. Thanks again!

Toric

I just wanted say a huge thanks to Steve C for this review. I recently upgraded from a pair of Vortex Talon 8x32's to the new Schott HT version of the Tract 8x42 based on the material here. Its an incredible difference! While I can't comment on any difference between the non-Schott glass and these, in terms of price-to-quality, the Torics are outstanding. Thanks again!

I agree and thank you for your reviews and everyone's thoughts.

I recently purchased the older Toric 8x42 demo/closeout for a birding/nature/family trip and was very impressed. My cross references are much more limited (and more ancient) than those I found in the forums. Personally I am very satisfied with my new binoculars.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back